96 replies, 49 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Caio Pimentel Caio Pimentel 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    26 pts
    @admin

Exciting times! Our first challenge – a snow shader.

Reference Images

shaders_xyz_challenge_01_snowball_ref_01
    shaders_xyz_challenge_01_snowball_ref_02
    shaders_xyz_challenge_01_snowball_ref_03

Getting started

The initial scene setup is very straightforward and only takes 5 minutes. It is important that we standardize scene conditions between contributors, so please make sure that you’re not setting up the scene differently.

1. Download and extract the .zip package.
    2. Open or load in the alembic, containing the scene geometry and camera.
    3. Assign a lambertian material to the floor geometry, assign the checker texture map [tex/checker_floor.tif] to the color slot.
    4. Repeat step 3 for the macbeth chart [tex/macbeth_chart.tif].
    5. Create an HDRI light and plug in the provided HDRI. Leave the light intensity at 1. Rotate the light by 90 degrees along the Y-axis.

A reference images of the default lighting condition can be found [here].

Please make sure to post renders using this setup. It is allowed to post extra renders using your own light setup. Since the shared light setup is at the core of the challenge, this will be heavily moderated. You’ve been warned!

What is expected of you?

The focus of these challenges is on sharing shading knowledge. Explain the shading setup in as much detail as you can be bothered to do. Think of shaders.xyz as a sort of open source project.

About creating extra geometry – just try to think if it would work in a shading pipeline. If you think it would be practical, go for it.

PLEASE NOTE:

Feel free to post WIPs in this thread.

For now, please use “auto” for the width and height attributes when uploading images. This is needed to display them correctly.

To tag others in a post, use the “@” symbol.

That’s all! The winner gets picked by the admin team on the 1st of April, 2017 (no joke!) and will receive an exclusive SHADERS.XYZ t-shirt (hype!). Don’t forget to motivate others by voting for your favorite submission !

• This topic was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims Zeno Pelgrims.
    • This topic was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims Zeno Pelgrims.
    • This topic was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims Zeno Pelgrims.
    • This topic was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims Zeno Pelgrims.
    • This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims Zeno Pelgrims.
    • This topic was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims Zeno Pelgrims.
    • This topic was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims Zeno Pelgrims.
    #616 Score: 2
    Profile photo of michael cauchi
    michael cauchi
    Participant
    • CG Student / Soon Groom TD
    14 pts
    @mikecauchi

"Final" version of my attempt at the first shading challenge!

Had a go at doing the first shading challenge, kept it fully procedural using maya 2016 and vray 3.4. If you want to have a look around the shader feel free to download it for your own testing here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2OOqYTrPNpcT0Fja1d6aW9zR00/view?usp=sharing

I’ll share some basic stuff here about the shader.

DISPLACEMENT:
    Displacement is broken into 5 parts which are added/subtracted from each other using a layeredtexture node, 4 of these displacements are fractals and the 5th is a perlin noise which is also used as a material mask for water droplets. The displacements are ordered by size with the top most layer being for large silhouette changes.
    Rotating the uvs of this top most layer in the place 2d texture node will allow you to get a variety of different snowballs. In theory, you could drive this attribute with a “random by object ID” set-up in order to get many different variations without having to duplicated the shader each time.

MATERIAL LAYERS:
    This material relies heavily on blend materials hense its extremely slow rendertime, however it does allow a lot of control. The base material is a simple sss shader whic his being driven by some fractals to have basic colour variation (the scatter colour is set to blue). Layered on top of this are separate materials for water sheen (sections of the snowball which have melted). a flake material, water droplets and rock.

Feel free to download the material if you want to see this in more detail!

See ya and good luck with your attempts 🙂
    cant wait to see ’em

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #663 Score: 11
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    26 pts
    @admin

Nice work @mikecauchi!

zeno_pelgrims_snow_shader

My first attempt using arnold & alshaders. Purely surface shaders this time, next up I want to try with a combination of a surface and a volume.

The setup is pretty simple. The main surface is an alSurface shader, using sss and two specular lobes. The first lobe has an alflake material, for the odd high intensity specular highlights. The second lobe is much broader and helps define the volumes of the geometry.

The displacement is a combination of a really random displacement map of some ground – for the big shapes, and finer fractals layered on top.

I also duplicated the geometry, using the same base displacement but with another fractal displacment layered on top. Then I pushed it in slightly, so it only sticks out of the surface in small little blocks. I made this more of a very simple ice-like material that doesn’t cast shadows.

Key to getting a nice feel to the image was using a lot of ray bounces. The dropoff point after which I couldn’t see a difference anymore was about 10 diffuse bounces. Due to the directional sss model, it took about an hour to clear up the SSS noise.

There’s a bit of post work on the image – some bloom and glint and chromatic aberration to help it sell more as a photograph 🙂

zeno_pelgrims_snow_shader_shaderTree

zeno_pelgrims_snow_shader_alsurface

This post has received 11 votes up.
    #721 Score: 4
    Profile photo of mikiramos
    mikiramos
    Participant
    • Photographer. Shading and Lighting. Based in Barcelona, Spain.
    6 pts
    @mikiramos

EDIT

Updating! Restarted, the last one was melting.

So, did this with Redshift for C4D, all made with procedural fractal and cell noises for the displacement and a shiny SSS for the shader. Finally added a bit of bokeh and Chromatic Aberration. No post, just render settings.

EDIT2

Added some dirt the same way as @admin did. Thanks for the tip!

This post has received 4 votes up.
    #725 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Felipe Pesantez
    Felipe Pesantez
    Participant
    1 pt
    @fpesantez

Hey there I basically use the same approach as Zeno, using alFlakes and fractals, but I didn’t use SSS, I use Transmission / attenuation instead, anyway I’ll still play around with sss workflows 🙂

Hey there*UPDATE, yep SSS looks right 🙂

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #830 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Ross Macaluso
    Ross Macaluso
    Participant
    2 pts
    @rmacaluso

Really cool idea setting up this forum.. this challenge caught my eye… real fun to test out redshift for maya, definitely a lot to learn ( first time rendering with redshift )….

Pretty rough so far… i’ll post a breakdown tommorrow, its getting late :(…

Completely procedural ( no tiled textures, just plain old fashion maya utilities, and noise…. )

snowball wip

#903 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Markus
    Markus
    Participant
    3 pts
    @markus

Hey all,

I am also using Redshift, for Softimage. Just getting used to it and kinda like it.
    Also because the snowball took 1 minute to render, thats crazy compared to what I am used.

Okay, result still needs lot of tweaking, but here is my WIP.
    Procedural with lots of fractal noises and Redshift Materials. Rendertime about 1 minute on nvidia 1080.

Gonna work on it again when I have time.

snowball

shader tree softimage

#955 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Josef
    Josef
    Participant
    @josef

really cool result! @markus

#983 Score: 0
    Profile photo of dan
    dan
    Participant
    @danb

This ended up looking more like ice than snow.

Snow/Ice Ball

#997 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Derrick Forkel
    Derrick Forkel
    Participant
    1 pt
    @derrickforkel

Hey Yall! So I decide to try my hand at making this snowball.  I absolutely love seeing everyone’s work process and I find it fascinating. I would love some critique on this and I have a few ideas of somethings I can change .

I’m also super curious on how I can about making the transparent snowflake/jagged type edges we see.

But quick break down I decided to follow some basic ideas of using fractals and establishing the displacement first. After that I played with the SSS and spec especially using the flakes. I decided to also try using facing ration plugged into a ramp then plugged into Transmission to give the edges more transparency.

Love all the work and cant wait to see more!

#1006 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    26 pts
    @admin

@mikiramos, sweet work man!

@markus – jesus christ, just a minute of rendering for that – that’s insane!

#1009 Score: 0
    mikiramos
    Participant
    6 pts
    @mikiramos

@admin

Thanks! I’m trying to recreat you dirty spot, but man, thats hard! How you approach that? It really looks inside the snow

#1011 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    26 pts
    @admin

@mikiramos – It’s very simple, a remapped fractal with a low level of recursion. I think key was getting the falloff right, so it gives the perception of depth. But it’s a big fake, it doesn’t even affect any sss layers.. I’d like to improve that aspect of the shader to be honest!

#1013 Score: 0
    mikiramos
    Participant
    6 pts
    @mikiramos

@admin Good job then! it really looks like it has depth!

#1039 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Markus
    Markus
    Participant
    3 pts
    @markus

Hey all,
    nice progress here over night 🙂
    Great work and inspireing to go on tuning the shader!

#1075 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Dusan Kovic
    Dusan Kovic
    Participant
    • CG Generalist/Lookdev/Rendering
    1 pt
    @dusankovic

Hi everyone! Here is my take on the snow shader. This is done in a couple of hours last night, not entirely finished, but work takes it’s toll 😀

It turned out like a snow with ice crust, wet snow after a cold night.

So here is some info about the shader (there is one fractal that is not connected, I forgot to delete it)

Do multiple procedural displacement layers, make interesting shapes of different scale and type. Start with a big shapes and then go with medium and small details, like sculpting. SSS is a must! This is just one layer, full blown 3 layer SSS would be a better option, but expensive. Also this is alShaders Cubic SSS mode, Empirical or Directional would preserve detail better at the cost of render time. Also I should play more with SSS depth and color. Flakes in Spec 2.

I should also make a snow a little softer. I guess some post processing, glows and similar would make it softer, but I would like to get a better result in render. Also some more displacement variation. I should also play with samplers and facing ratios to get different effects.

That’s all, great challenge and great website 🙂 Thanks Zeno for gathering people in one place. I hope I will have more free time for next challenge

Cheers!

#1089 Score: 2
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    11 pts
    @

alSurface is still buggy in this regard but will pesker Anders again on the strange linings..

Way to go but thought I’d share the wip anyways..

Cheers
    Daniel

#1091 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Alin Bolcas
    Alin Bolcas
    Participant
    2 pts
    @alinbolcas

Great stuff! Had a blast reading through these! 😀

I had a go at it as well, in summary it’s fully procedural (excepting one file texture which I mapped using alTriplanar so it should work for other meshes as well) using Maya 2017, Arnold + alshader library and the rest is just noise and flakes.  You can find everything here as well: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xrK31

RENDER: Sorry if it’s still noisy, rendered it on my macbook so it took a while haha. There is also some post just to make the image pop a bit better.

NODE GRAPH: I’m sorry it’s quite a mess, I’m still learning how to be organised here (I have quite a few unnecessary nodes and only the first ones are roughly names). Hopefully you can make out what’s going on – there are 4 big groups of nodes plugged into bump, diffuse, spec, displacement (top to bottom order) which are mainly made out of a bunch of aiNoise/alFlake and colour/float composite nodes.

MATERIAL: So I did something somewhere in between Felipe @fpesantez and Zeno’s @admin approach combining transmission with attenuation and SSS. I faked some things so it’s not really physically accurate, I just tried to go for what looked better.

Material

WIP: Here are just some screenshots I managed to save while I was testing different values.

Overall I think it looks alright for the slightly wet/frozen kind of look though it’s far away from a puffy kind of snow. None the less it was fun, I’ll keep on checking the thread! Good luck!

#1111 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Thomas Harle
    Thomas Harle
    Participant
    4 pts
    @tharlevfx

Love the idea for a shaders forum!

Haven’t actually started my snow yet but i’ll be using Unreal 4 as my renderer so set up my scene tonight – lighting isnt quite perfect but it’s not bad for realtime rendering.

Unreal 4 Lighting Setup

if anyone else wants to have a go in Unreal here’s the project link:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/87mo6oq5inprea3/AACAqDUjW3_4XQ1Qgh-loV0aa?dl=0

Cheers

#1117 Score: 8
    Profile photo of Francesco Campobasso
    Francesco Campobasso
    Participant
    8 pts
    @cesco

Hi all.

I’m currently working on a project with a lot of snow so I just took what I did before on it and add it to the scene shared in the forum. And this is how it looks so far:

snow

Arnold / alshaders:

surface – alSurface with SSS(directional) and two specular lobes. With an alFlake in one of the specs. And a map of dirt on the diffuse

displacement – a groundDirt file substracted by a aiNoise.

It rendered in about 10 min (2 x Xeon E5 2665 2.4Ghz)

No post.

Basically is the same approach Zeno did, but with a simpler setup (no double geo trans and quiet simple displacement) I guess that’s one of the reasons why Zeno’s one looks better 😀 But it’s nice to see that we are all not so far on the approach.

This post has received 8 votes up.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.