Home Forums Challenges Challenge 02: Candy

84 replies, 44 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Allen Karachun Allen Karachun 2 months, 4 weeks ago
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    27 pts
    @admin

Challenge 02: candy shaders. Some really interesting light transport happening here! This will truly push the renderers to the boundaries of their capabilities.

We want to thank everyone who participated in the last challenge – it was really fun to see so many people submitting their best shot at a snow shader. For what it’s worth, we’ve heard some very positive things from top people in the industry. People are watching and it’s a fantastic opportunity to show your skillset to them.

Reference Image

shaders_xyz_challenge_02_candy_reference

Getting started

The initial scene setup is very straightforward and only takes 5 minutes. It is important that we standardize scene conditions between contributors, so please make sure that you’re not setting up the scene differently.

1. Download and extract the .zip package.
    2. Open or load in the alembic, containing the scene geometry and camera.
    3. Assign a lambertian material to the floor geometry, assign the checker texture map [tex/checker_floor.tif] to the color slot.
    4. Repeat step 3 for the macbeth chart [tex/macbeth_chart.tif].
    5. Create an HDRI light and plug in the provided HDRI. Leave the light intensity at 1. Leave the Y-axis rotation at 0.

A reference images of the default lighting condition can be found [here].

Please make sure to post renders using this setup. It is allowed to post extra renders using your own light setup. Since the shared light setup is at the core of the challenge, this will be heavily moderated. You’ve been warned!

What is expected of you?

The focus of these challenges is on sharing shading knowledge. Explain the shading setup in as much detail as you can be bothered to do. Think of shaders.xyz as a sort of open source project.

About creating extra geometry – just try to think if it would work in a shading pipeline. If you think it would be practical, go for it.

PLEASE NOTE:

Feel free to post WIPs in this thread.

For now, please use “auto” for the width and height attributes when uploading images. This is needed to display them correctly.

To tag others in a post, use the “@” symbol.

To avoid image compression, upload .png instead of .jpg! This is something we’re working on to avoid.

That’s all! The winner gets picked by the admin team on the 1st of May, 2017 and will receive an exclusive SHADERS.XYZ t-shirt (hype!). Don’t forget to motivate others by voting for your favorite submission! Good luck everyone!

shaders_xyz_tshirt_01

#1631 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Piotr Orlinski
    Piotr Orlinski
    Participant
    • Shading & Lighting Artist at Layopi Games
    1 pt
    @orzelcg

Great idea Zeno! Ready for the next one 🙂

#1632 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Anthony Pilon
    Anthony Pilon
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    20 pts
    @anthonypilon

Really cool idea for a challenge! I’m going to see about entering this one, we’ll see how different it is from gemstones 🙂

#1633 Score: 0
    Anthony Pilon
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    20 pts
    @anthonypilon

@admin Technical problem: when I import the Alembic to Blender, none of the Geo has UVs, even though they were fine on the snow challenge. Is this a problem with the Alembic scene, or is it probably on my end?

#1635 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    27 pts
    @admin

@anthonypilon – Damn, my mistake. Forgot to write uv’s when exporting to alembic. New download link is up now!

#1638 Score: 0
    Anthony Pilon
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    20 pts
    @anthonypilon

@admin Thanks, works perfectly now!

#1645 Score: 0
    Profile photo of David van t Westende
    David van t Westende
    Participant
    • VFX Artist / Graphic Designer
    @dvtwestende

Im in!

#1696 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Julien Crochet
    Julien Crochet
    Participant
    • 3D generalist
    17 pts
    @juliencrochet

Cool idea !

Can we use some geometry scattering (sugar grains for exemples) or should we restrict to strictly applying a shader?

#1697 Score: 1
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    27 pts
    @admin

I think restricting people in techniques would be counter productive. As long as you consider it’s feasible in a production setting, go for it!

To clear up the difference: Imagine we’d do some rust material, with chipped paint on top. In that case I don’t think it would be right to go off and sculpt a chipped paint layer just for this shader. However, random scattering of objects on another mesh is a scaleable technique that can be applied to many different objects, so I think that would be a valid approach.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #1698 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Libor Batek
    Libor Batek
    Participant
    • 3d generalist
    3 pts
    @lbatek

hi guys,

so here is my wip for now….still a lot of issues but presentable wip I guess, not sure if I have time tommorrow so rather sending right now 🙂

a bit of description: using MtoA and alSurfaces, hdri is a bit darker than refer image +0.5 EV improves it a lot…used rayswitch for combining solid/caustic shadowing using another self emmissive alsurface for diffuse rays and shadow

wip 1

#1705 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Muhammet Altun
    Muhammet Altun
    Participant
    @muhammet

hi this is gonne be my first attempt to your challenges (or any online challenge really). I was wondering if i can alter the colors or do i have to stick with the ref image ?

#1712 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Kay Vonlanthen
    Kay Vonlanthen
    Participant
    • Roofer
    2 pts
    @kayvonlanthen

well, this is the challenge as well. in production you get a reference image and you have to create this image. anything else is pesonal touch in my opinion. if you have a reference you should recreate it as close as possible 🙂 hope that helps

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #1713 Score: 0
    Muhammet Altun
    Participant
    @muhammet

Yes it does help. Thank you.

#1714 Score: 0
    Kay Vonlanthen
    Participant
    • Roofer
    2 pts
    @kayvonlanthen

im thinking about a way to displace those sugar grains. any ideas? how would it be done in production if adding geo is not an option? can this be done with displacement. isnt that a bit overkill with subdivisions? just thinking about this stuff 🙂

#1715 Score: 0
    Muhammet Altun
    Participant
    @muhammet

i don’t think high subdiv displacement an overkill these days. ofc it depends on what kind of renderer you’re gonna use but Redshift and Arnold are tottaly fine with it IMO. An other option could be generating some geo and baking a normal map but thats not gonna work for a close up object of coure. It’s a fair balance i think.

#1717 Score: 0
    Kay Vonlanthen
    Participant
    • Roofer
    2 pts
    @kayvonlanthen

hmm overall i think you get away with fairly low subdivision count. with that low value, i think, you dont get away for creating those fine grains of sugar hmmmm tricky indeed. sure vray and other rederers are fine with those values but i would want to optimize my render and only render what i need. do i create extra geo or bump up the subdivisions in order to get those fine details, is the question on my mind 🙂 i recently started playing around with vray displacement, so i never did those crazy fine details. also i think you would need a 32bit heightmap from the “original” sculpt, which we dont have. we could look up jpeg(lossy) or png (lossless) pictures, but those 8bit/16bit formats lack detail i think.

im looking forward on how you guys tackle it 😉

#1720 Score: 8
    Profile photo of Ole-M
    Ole-M
    Participant
    • 3D - Generalist
    20 pts
    @olemarius

Hi!

Here’s my WIP done in Redshift for C4D. It’s a challenging material for sure 🙂

edit: Thanks @juliencrochet and @tharlevfx!

My material is really not very complicated. I don’t think you need a lot of nodes to recreate it, but all your values need to be spot on. My WIP is a refractive single scatter material driven by vertex color and noises. I think the key is finding the balance between extinction,scattering and the phase. I’m struggling to get the shadows opaque enough while still retaining enough translucency. I may have to find a way to cheat that somehow.  Also, right now all three share the same material (to keep editing faster), but I’ll probably have to split them up to fine tune them later. The sugar is created using scattered platonic geometry, and the surface itself is displaced by cell noises.

WIP

This post has received 8 votes up.
    #1723 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Julien Crochet
    Julien Crochet
    Participant
    • 3D generalist
    17 pts
    @juliencrochet

@admin Alright, thank you !

@olemarius Your WIP looks great ! Can you share some more about how you’ve done it? 🙂

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #1726 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Thomas Harle
    Thomas Harle
    Participant
    4 pts
    @tharlevfx

looking sweet Ole-M 🙂

How did you do the grains? Just displacement cos they’re looking really nice.  Think thats going to be the hardest part to get working in realtime.

#1735 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Libor Batek
    Libor Batek
    Participant
    • 3d generalist
    3 pts
    @lbatek

@olemarius …so good man! you pretty nail it from start, esp those sugar chunks are perfect! thanks for kicking my butt so badly, feel like complete noob hehe…getting back to drawingboard 🙂 …next time should think twice before sending anything hehe

I m pretty motivated right now 🙂

keep em comming guys

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.