Home Forums Challenges Challenge 02: Candy

84 replies, 44 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Allen Karachun Allen Karachun 2 months, 1 week ago
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tom Hohlefeld
    Tom Hohlefeld
    Participant
    • ATMO Designstudio
    @tomhlfld

Hi Guys,

this is my current WIP state. I started with the shader of one candy and my final step will be the recreation of the shader for the different colors/candys.

I will update this post here with a more detailed explanation when it’s really done 🙂

I made this with C4D and C4DtoA.

The one of @olemarius looks great already!

LATEST

Made a second try withe the new “uber shader” of Arnold 5:

#1759 Score: 3
    Profile photo of Libor Batek
    Libor Batek
    Participant
    • 3d generalist
    3 pts
    @lbatek

another progress pic v02, using MtoA…I guess if not last 🙂 I ve started to hate this candy, so I guess I need some rest from it 🙂 …thinking of trying version 03 without scattered sugar particles just displace and procedural tex for everything …not sure tho 😀

beauty straight from arnold

and heres s displaced geo if someone interested

lighting aov with displaced geo

short info: straight from MtoA no post, I ve tweaked a bit interpenetrating geometry because of shading issues from that (that laying whiteRed on the yellow) all 3 candies together in one alsurface for easy tunning…some time spent to handpaint image masks for those color areas on them…biggest problem was scattering component of the shader…using the attenuation params in transmission part of the shader for single scatter. Basically theres not much info about the way algorithm works nor how to properly use it – correct me if I wrong (speaking of normal end user… I know you coding guys probably know everything about that 🙂 I ve used some scattered geos for sugar on top of it.

Still lot of improvement here and there needed…nothing is perfect as always 😀

Cheers guys! Nice work by the way…

Libor

This post has received 3 votes up.
    #1761 Score: 4
    Profile photo of Arthur Gatineau
    Arthur Gatineau
    Participant
    4 pts
    @arthurgatineau

shaderxyz_2_candy

shaderxyz_2_candy_100percent

I didn’t have time for the first one but I motivated myself the other night to make this one. I tweaked the candy on the left ( position and inflate a bit ) so it matches a bit more the reference.
    Broad displacement for silouhette variation, and other layers for the surface detail ( all the displacement made with SigerNoise https://www.sigershop.eu/free-3ds-max-plugins/sigertexmaps-sigernoise/ )
    Diffuse painted in mari, VRayMtl with refraction,refraction glossiness, SSS and slightly tinded spec map ( tweaked diffuse map) . Another VRayMtl with less refraction for the white part of the yellow candy ( seems more opaque to me ). I scattered 2 types of grains, some opaques ones and others with refractions ( with random values for scale etc of course ). Chromatic aberration in photoshop ( Lens effects in Vray )

This post has received 4 votes up.
    #1763 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Kay Vonlanthen
    Kay Vonlanthen
    Participant
    • Roofer
    2 pts
    @kayvonlanthen

@arthurgatineau @lbatek nice displacement, both of you. though your (@lbatek) candy is a tad too dark i think. maybe brighten it up a bit more

#1776 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Libor Batek
    Libor Batek
    Participant
    • 3d generalist
    3 pts
    @lbatek

@kayvonlanthen yeah you are right, I was a bit worried to not overdo it (brighten too much) – will work on that soon.

I must say that @olemarius  version is still damn good! its not the same as reference image but has the candy tastiness or how to say it! I would call it “hyperreal” in advert style – not mimic reality but overtake it, and those sugar particles simply rocks! I would need to spend more time on them too using instancing/particles or new Mash in 2017 to experiment instantly, now Im using old “spPaint” script to paint geos manually…still rocks btw

Im really curious what everyone else come up with! esp using MtoA , considering transmission properties of that thingy….

#1788 Score: 3
    Profile photo of Sondre Nymoen
    Sondre Nymoen
    Participant
    • 3D-Generalist at Headspin
    7 pts
    @pannekaka

Here’s my take on the challenge!

software used:
    C4D with Redshift

Light Challenge

And here is my displacement i generated in Photoshop
    Displacement

#1793 Score: 9
    Profile photo of Ole-M
    Ole-M
    Participant
    • 3D - Generalist
    20 pts
    @olemarius

Here’s my final render. I’ve changed the displacement from a procedural noise to a custom height map, broken up the spec a bit more and adjusted the scattering. Fun challenge!

OleMarius Candy

This post has received 9 votes up.
    #1801 Score: 3
    Profile photo of Kent Skorstad
    Kent Skorstad
    Participant
    • Art Director and 3D generalist
    13 pts
    @shallowrenders

Here’s my render. Fun but challenging material 😀 The shadows turned out quite funky. Rendered with Redshift for C4D.

Shallowrenders candy render

#1820 Score: 3
    Profile photo of Sondre Nymoen
    Sondre Nymoen
    Participant
    • 3D-Generalist at Headspin
    7 pts
    @pannekaka

A small update on my Candy, more sugar coating!

software used:
    C4D with Redshift

Candy_update

And here is my displacement i generated in Photoshop
    Displacement

#1823 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Praveen raj
    Praveen raj
    Participant
    • Senior Lighting and Compositing artist
    @praveenraj

wip.alsurface with cell noise and lether.need to work more on transmissions and specs

candy_wip

#1839 Score: 6
    Profile photo of Kent Skorstad
    Kent Skorstad
    Participant
    • Art Director and 3D generalist
    13 pts
    @shallowrenders

My final render 🙂

The only thing that’s change since last post is less bump and som minor tweaks on the reflections. The HDRI was a litte bit to bright, so I lowered it to the correct exposure level.

I didn’t manage to clean up the shadows. But a solution could be to turn off shadows on the sugar.

Rendertimes: 10 min 15 sek 2000 x 2000 px on 2 x GTX1080. Render engine: Redshift for C4D.

Final Render

Clay render. Showing the displacement (se map below)

clay

Displacement map (depth pass of topview cubes. Not set to tile)

displacement map

The material is 90% based on the refraction/Transmission extinction- and scatter scale.

Refraction pass

Specular

reflection

reflections

reflection

SSS

SSS

Material set up. They are all allmost equal.

Material set up

Thanks for the awesome challenge! Hope you like my entry  🙂

This post has received 6 votes up.
    #1841 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    27 pts
    @admin

Guys, amazing that you share these self generated displacement maps! Completely in the spirit of the website. Fantastic!

#1842 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Franck Topic
    Franck Topic
    Participant
    • Environment/ props artist
    4 pts
    @francky

Really cool to see all those render guys ! Challenging material for sure !

Here’s mine, 3ds max and Vray, mostly the same Vray fast SSS2 for each sweet and simple Vray mtl for sugar  with refraction and self illum (maybe too visible in shadows sometimes). Diffuse was made with simple fallof in max and displace with cellular noise.

Hope you’ll like it !

Final Render

Displace And Sugar scattering

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #1857 Score: 6
    Profile photo of Herman Simpson
    Herman Simpson
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    6 pts
    @squarepixels

Here’s my contribution. Made in Cinema 4d, rendered with Redshift (DL for full res)

Candy_HS_Raw

A clay render plus some images of my custom made displacement

Fun challenge to do!

This post has received 6 votes up.
    #1864 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Anthony Pilon
    Anthony Pilon
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    20 pts
    @anthonypilon

Here’s my entry, done in Blender/Cycles:

Beauty Render

There’s a little bit of post on the image; some bloom and abberation because I couldn’t resist with all the bright specks. 😀

I used microdisplacement and particle instancing for the sugar, and some slight Voronoi F2-F1 displacement to break up the surface. The candy is mainly a translucency/SSS blend. I tried a refraction+volume approach, but I couldn’t get the light scattering to behave the way I wanted, especially on the mix of yellow and white candy. In the end I used no volume and only a little glass to hint at refraction on the surface. I’m not entirely happy with how the green candy turned out, though it might be affected by lighting and camera angle differences from the reference. I mixed in more of the glass shader on the green to get a bit of lightening on the tip and darkening further down; if I have time later on I might tweak it some more. Overall though, I like where this is.

Clay render showing the microdisplacement and particlesCustom displacement map from Substance Designer

Candy nodetree (might need to DL or open in new tab to read)

Sugar particles nodetree

I had a lot of fun doing this challenge, I look forward to seeing the rest of the entries!

#1879 Score: 1
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    11 pts
    @

I hope I find the time to join later in april, so far none of the tests got the shadows right. Looking forward where this is going.. I assume you need single scattering/transmission mixed with (blurred) caustics to get this remotely right..

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #1887 Score: 0
    Profile photo of RALF KOTOWSKI
    RALF KOTOWSKI
    Participant
    • Search Engine creator
    @bl4ck1c3

So.. I decided in participating in this challenge… I use Lightwave 2015 – I’m just kinda starting out… I know LW has mayor differences between other packages.. and so voila.. I set up the HDRI light and I get a completely different result from the reference image…. I’m trying to match the light angle by changing the HDR images heading.. so far close but no cigar.

Also.. do the candy have to look the same? In Germany we have candy.. same shape, but look totally different!

#1900 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Clément Feuillet
    Clément Feuillet
    Participant
    • Student
    1 pt
    @fipfapfoup

Working on this on my free time, Renderman/maya/yeti

instanced sugar

Using the Refraction with multiscattering / single scatter, with ervey settings maxed out.

cool challenge ! 🙂

Now need to apply the colors !

#1911 Score: 1
    Profile photo of fred_lc
    fred_lc
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    1 pt
    @fredlacocca

Hy everyone

Here is my try.
    C4d + RedShift. Just material + custom displacement. The displacement was made in c4d for the middle crystal “layer”. then composed in photoshop to add cell noise background and white sugar crystal levels. It’s tilable. Colors are made with ramps.
    This is an addictive, not so easy (for me anyway), but very instructive exercise. The main difficulty is the transition between two setting of SSS in one material. black artifact occurs and I found not other solution than use a blending material for the white sugar crystal. the black artifact are not totally gone anyway. But in the reference there is also dirt in the white, thus it’s ok.
    My personnal challenge was to made the material the most simple and the most reusable. I’m not so far.
    I will post the graph monday (have not redshift home)

Main Image

The displace
    displacement

Clay render

Clay render

#1921 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Franck Topic
    Franck Topic
    Participant
    • Environment/ props artist
    4 pts
    @francky

Hey,

Here’s my final render, I’ve added some caustics and changed a bit the scattering.

Little breakdown here   https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LvJEP

All your render are really inspiring !

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.