Home Forums Challenges Challenge 02: Candy

84 replies, 44 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Allen Karachun Allen Karachun 1 week, 6 days ago
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Marvin Archaimbault
    Marvin Archaimbault
    Participant
    • CG Student @ ESMA
    4 pts
    @marvinarch

Hi guys, here is my entry.

I used Maya and Renderman 21 (and Nuke to add some glow ^^). I wanted to go full procedural into Renderman (except for the color map) even if I think I could get better results with the displace / sugar generating them an other way. Whatever I’m not 100% satisfied with the result and will try some more tests especially with sugar aspect ! And yeah, well done Zeno for creating this community ! 🙂

> Here is the project on Arstation

> Here is a turn of lighting

Final

Final.

Clay

Clay render.

Marvin 🙂

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #2007 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Krissi Far
    Krissi Far
    Participant
    • Just a Junior Artist
    @krissifar

Hey Everyone!
    First, thank you for hosting such amazing challenges, Zeno! It’s awesome to see all the different approaches and come out of your comfort zone and try to create your own shader.

Alright! Here is my entry for the 2nd challenge! 🙂

>> Find it here on Artstation –> https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BQDBA

Final
    Refraction

AO

I used Maya with a mixture of alsurface and aistandart shader;
    The alsurface mainly for the scattering and inner, solid parts. I then layered a glass-like aistandart with a fresnel effect over it to achieve the translucency on the outer surface.
    For the surface detail I used a simple aicellnoise as displacement, which caused problems. The fresnels used to behave a lot different from there on and needed a lot of fine-tuning.
    For the bigger sugar grains I used mash to scatter some adjusted primitives across the surface.

I hope you like it. Let me know what you think about my approach! 🙂

#2013 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jizhongkun
    Jizhongkun
    Participant
    • modeler
    @jizhongkun

I made the candy yesterday.I used all the nodes by maya own,and i render it in redshift.I can’t made the good effect of the suger by maya nodes not use texmap or other mesh.hope you like it…

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ROQDr

#2016 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Thomas Harle
    Thomas Harle
    Participant
    4 pts
    @tharlevfx

Here’s my entry – again using Unreal Engine 4 as my renderer.  Can’t use transparency due to sorting issues so i’m doing a lot to fake the lighting using the light angle and emissive values.

#2020 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Arianna Mao
    Arianna Mao
    Participant
    • CG Student
    2 pts
    @arimao

Heyo!

I tried to do something fully procedural, within Maya/Vray using VrayFastSSS2, for the most part.

Some of the more interesting decisions:

• I broke the gummies into two separate geos where the two different materials coincide – I found that this gives me better translucency and control than painting/ramps could give me.
    • I changed the camera angle & light direction to better match the reference image.
    • I had to really increase the exposure of the light (and because I was using a Vray Physical Camera, drastically decrease aperture size) to better match the reference image.
    • I had two render passes – one for the major displacements, sugar, and gummies – one for a flake material to get an extra specular hit on the fresnel.
    • Oh and also chromatic aberration, bloom and defocus.

April 12, 2017 Candy Render

breakdown layers

#2027 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tom Hohlefeld
    Tom Hohlefeld
    Participant
    • ATMO Designstudio
    @tomhlfld

Anybody else starting completely over again  because of the Arnold 5 Release yesterday? 😀

Other question. How did you guys make the transition for the yellow candy? Can’t use a ramp_rgb there because of the UVs.

#2034 Score: 5
    Profile photo of Lewis Orton
    Lewis Orton
    Participant
    • Motion Designer
    5 pts
    @lewisorton

Totally missed the first competition, not gonna miss this one again 🙂

One thing I noticed is that the “shadow” are actually constructed with part of the fresnel reflection from the ground, which plays a fairly important part of the final visual, which without it could be quite hard to produce that strong vivid “shadow” on the ground. For the checker box image, I used a diffuse shader on the ground without reflection.

All done in Cinema 4D with Octane Render. I know the node graph looks a bit horrible but I’ve tried to clean it up as good as I could’ve done. The main idea is to use scattering medium mixed with a partial transmission. Parameters for scattering medium (subsurface scattering material in other renderers) vary on different sweets. Vertexmap was used on a final mix shader to separate the two-tone sweets. Don’t want to use any extra geometry so those grains were made with displacement. The shader of grains was mixed between a diffuse shader and a subsurface scattering shader. I had to re-unwrap the UV again to hide the seams since Octane has a serious defect on displacement edge, hope this is acceptable. Also to trade off for the best speed&quality, I turned on fake shadows on the sweet but kept it off for the shadows, which shall be legit on real production workflow.

The final one with a white ground to mimic the original photo reference has a very rough (0.4) and slight (index of 1.5) reflection on the ground, if lower down the camera angle a bit more, the vivid “shadow” can be even stronger due to fresnel reflection. I don’t see a strong skylight in the reference, thus the shadow with provided HDR is brighter.

This post has received 5 votes up.
    #2036 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Leif Pedersen
    Leif Pedersen
    Participant
    • CG Generalist
    @leif3d

BTW, for people having issues with the floor… the checker texture doesn’t have a color profile, so Maya’s color management is not registering the color properly. I had to give it a manual sRGB color profile in photoshop and then manually assign a linearize override.

Lots of great submissions!

#2037 Score: 0
    Leif Pedersen
    Participant
    • CG Generalist
    @leif3d

Can we make the sugar instances? Or it has to be a displacement?

#2055 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Johannes Engelhardt
    Johannes Engelhardt
    Participant
    1 pt
    @jh-engelhardt

Very impressive and inspiring work here!
    Here is my first submission. I hope I find some more time to work on it.
    Rendered in Houdini with Mantra. The sugar is extra geometry. The displacement is done with 3d noise.
    Are there any rules for depth of field/defocus?

#2104 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Drew
    Drew
    Participant
    • Wanna be : Professional Learner
    @demviethe

Felt Like I was on the right track for a while and then somewhere along the path I lost my mind. Very fun but complicated texture. First time poster and very new to 3D Modeling/texturing/Look DEV

#2199 Score: 0
    Leif Pedersen
    Participant
    • CG Generalist
    @leif3d

Hi everyone,

Great work in here, this challenge has been lots of fun!

Here’s my submission (so far)…

RenderMan 21 + Maya 2017 + mudbox for the color of the candy. Everything else is procedural RenderMan nodes.

VCM (bi-directional pathtracing) + photon guiding + Denoise.

Made with Pixar Surface Material. SSS + interior + Refraction + displacement.

Material Network

Final

No checkerboard + minor color correction

Hope to give it another pass before the deadline.

Happy rendering!

Leif.

#2230 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Xavier Zaho
    Xavier Zaho
    Participant
    • Designer
    @odagiri

Well, the first time to challenge.
    Use Cinema4D with Octane Render.

Use specular texture with scattering medium node, and those little sugar or some else are rendered with octane scatter.

And used vertex map for different color.

#2263 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Vincent DelJesus
    Vincent DelJesus
    Participant
    • 3d generalist (France)
    1 pt
    @picto

I’ve been working on this material so hard, I’ll need to see a dentist 🙂

I’ve made a simple displacement map with Substance Designer, sugar grains are replicated meshes and I’m using Modo to render.
    Here is the map, feel free to use it if it’s good enough for you.
    My result so far…
    wip

#2271 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Vincent DelJesus
    Vincent DelJesus
    Participant
    • 3d generalist (France)
    1 pt
    @picto

@bl4ck1c3
    I also couldn’t get the lighting right when I opened the scene in Modo and I realized I had to flip the HDR image horizontally to match the original scene.
    You may need to do the same in Lightwave.
    Hope that help…
    Good luck 😉

#2274 Score: 0
    Profile photo of RALF KOTOWSKI
    RALF KOTOWSKI
    Participant
    • Search Engine creator
    @bl4ck1c3

lol – that explains a thing or 2 – Alembic doesn’t export the POV correct either, have asked some peeps… and they say its not LW – and that with the files provided one cannot re-create those light conditions without tweaking

#2283 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Nicolas
    Nicolas
    Participant
    • Freelance Motion Graphics designer @ Overdrive studios
    @chroma

Submission time!

Cinema 4D + Octane render (still demo, sorry about that :(! )

Full Path Tracing, no fake shadows. All specular materials with Scattering medium Node. Custom made 4K displace map. Vertex maps for textures.

Little bit of Bloom and DOF 😛 (no post).

Hope you like it! (if I screwed the image sizes, im really sorry, I never found the “auto” size)

#2291 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Julien Crochet
    Julien Crochet
    Participant
    • 3D generalist
    17 pts
    @juliencrochet

Hello ! Here is my submission :

I have used VRay on 3DS Max again for this one.

The material is a refractive VrayMtl with translucency enabled. I started using multiple sorts of SSS materials but couldn’t get the look i wanted with them, and they weren’t see through either. I’ve used some Bercon noise to break up the surface at first, then some displacement over it to get the first sugary effect.

The material is then blended with a SSS material by a contrasted version of the displacement map to get some more white on the higher parts of the diplacement. Then i’ve scattered some rocks over the geometry with PFlow with two different shaders, one the same SSS as on the main geometry, and the second a clearer, glass like material to get some variation.

Lastly i’ve rendered a caustics pass (which could have been in the master pass but this way gave more control) to get some light through the the sugar grains and some more details overall.

This could get way more work but i’m glad i’ve got this far, it’s a very tricky shader !

#2331 Score: 4
    Profile photo of MOHAMED YEHIA
    MOHAMED YEHIA
    Participant
    9 pts
    @mido5560

hi there here’s my final entry using Vray (added glow and adjusted the curve,exposure):

Edited:(uploaded the final images again due to jpg compression,didn’t read the descreption well)

i used VrayScatterVolume material for the sss , and i used cellular map for Displacement,and scattered sugar pieces on top ,the material is simple it’s just about scattering different sugar pieces with different values ( Refraction,Reflection, Refraction gloss, ior)

And here’s one with Depth of field:

and here’s the VrayScatterVolume Mat:

This post has received 4 votes up.
    #2337 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Stephan Wagemann
    Stephan Wagemann
    Participant
    • 3D generalist
    1 pt
    @stephanw

Hello everyone,
    a lot of great entries here.
    I trying my luck with Arnold 5 and aiStandardSurface shader.
    And i have to say that i miss the alSurface shader a lot, the transmission/sss settings in aistandardSurface are very limited 🙁
    I used MASH for scattering the sugar crystals. I made a first pass for a normal/ displacement map and a second for the
    hero sugar crystals. All color maps are driven by projections ramps with noise.
    I have some different versions with more colorful shadows like in the reference Image, but they look too fake and in the end i decide
    to make a more opaque shadow version.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.