Home Forums Challenges Challenge 02: Candy

84 replies, 44 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Allen Karachun Allen Karachun 1 week, 6 days ago
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Vincent DelJesus
    Vincent DelJesus
    Participant
    • 3d generalist (France)
    1 pt
    @picto

I hope to find the time to work on the sugar crystals.
    Here is what I have so far.
    Comments are welcome 🙂

#2404 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Muhammet Altun
    Muhammet Altun
    Participant
    @muhammet

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hello everyone, This is my first and last post for this challenge. Because i don’t have much time lately i wait for the last weekand and go for it. I hope this a suitable post for this challange. I saw some great posts over the month and you guys inspire and motivate me with your renders. Heres the final render made with Redshift in Cinema 4D. I hope you like this one.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>final_render</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>
    I cloned some sugar pieces on the objects seperetly so i can very the count and make some non-uniform adjustments.
    I used the new RS Proxy system to clone thousands of sugars with out any lags and fast viewport feedback.</p>
    each of the sugar pieces have 1950 triangles and i would use them as they are in production with no problems.

Abour Shading: Since i m going with the cloning strategy, shading network is a lot simpler i m using some different scaled noises to make the bump and coloring with a linear ramp as transmittance color.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>
    project_screen_shot</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>sugars</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>shader_tree</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Heres some process pictures. I wasn’t aware of the color restriction at first so i used these colors than changed it to look like in the referance picture</p>
    Processgif

#2418 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Carl Krause
    Carl Krause
    Participant
    • Germany
    @carlkrause

Really impressive work everybody. I didn’t thought that it would be so hard to get this kind of material. I used the Arnold 4 with the alShaders. And I struggled a lot with the subsurface effect.
    In the end I only used transmission with a colored attenuation and played for ages with the scattering and density sliders.
    Its one shader for all models and no additional geometry.

little bit of color correction, dof and glow in the final image:

finalRender

shading without color correction on checker pattern:

originalRender

Displacement is a combination of aiNoises and 2 created textures:

displace displacement2

comments are very welcome. cheers.
    carl

#2420 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Muhammet Altun
    Muhammet Altun
    Participant
    @muhammet

I just realised my post got all messed up with these html stuff. so, sorry for that.

#2440 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Vincent DelJesus
    Vincent DelJesus
    Participant
    • 3d generalist (France)
    1 pt
    @picto

Here is my final image (raw Modo render):

final render

The process:
    _ to match the lighting in Modo I had to flip the HDRI horizontally.
    _ I also had to reset the items scale
    _ I started with the surface, creating a displacement map in Substance Designer (download)
    It was combined with 2 procedural textures to create the final look:

displacement

_ then I made the gummy material using SSS.
    The red and white candy also use some transparency on the white part.
    I used different gradients to change the colors and some noise to offset the transition.

Gummy material
    Here are the material settings (only the Scattering Distance and Depth slightly change for the different candy)

Candy material

_ finally added the sugar crystals with 2 Surface Generator and some Replicator (2 meshes)

Crystals

That’s it, hope you like it 😉
    I’m glad I came across this website because it was quite a challenge to work on this material and that was really interesting.
    Thanks!

<span style=”border-radius: 2px; text-indent: 20px; width: auto; padding: 0px 4px 0px 0px; text-align: center; font: bold 11px/20px ‘Helvetica Neue’,Helvetica,sans-serif; color: #ffffff; background: #bd081c no-repeat scroll 3px 50% / 14px 14px; position: absolute; opacity: 1; z-index: 8675309; display: none; cursor: pointer;”>Enregistrer</span>

#2465 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Johannes Engelhardt
    Johannes Engelhardt
    Participant
    1 pt
    @jh-engelhardt

This is my final image:
    The sugar is scattered geometry.
    Rendered with Mantra in Houdini 16.
    That is a really challenging material!

raw rendering

On white with glow and DOF.

On white with glow and DOF.

Clay-render. Displacement is a worley noise.

Clay-render. Displacement is a worley noise.

#2472 Score: 0
    Profile photo of morteza
    morteza
    Participant
    • Technical CG Artist
    1 pt
    @iranimation

Hello everyone, I’m very happy to join this cool challenge, so Let’s Rock And Roll

I am using Pixar’s Renderman for this Challenge, I hope you like it.

WIP

More Candy Shader reference for better look…

Renderman Shading Network..

Mash Network..

Wire-frame…

I’m not used any bitmap files in my work except Checkers and Environment Map exist in Challenge file

I use MASH plug-in for sugar crystals.

Renderman Setting : Renderman For Maya 21.3 + VCM Integrator + Denoise + Renderman Physical Camera

Hope you like it.

Morteza

https://www.linkedin.com/in/iranimation/

#2488 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Oleksii Kovalevskyi
    Oleksii Kovalevskyi
    Participant
    • Graphics programmer
    @alkova06

Hi everyone!

I’m a real time graphics programmer, so I use Unreal Engine for create and render my material.
    For this challenge I used SSS with baked transmission map + fake planar lighting. Beer’s law for micro surfaces (maps for micro surfaces was generated in substance designer). Sugar was created by tessellation with using random noise map.

Main

Some deferred buffers :

Buffers

Material and material instance settings:

MaterialMaterialParams

#2490 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Stephan Wagemann
    Stephan Wagemann
    Participant
    • 3D generalist
    1 pt
    @stephanw

Here is the final result, i tweaked the the transmission and the color and shadows to get a bit more dynamic and scattering.
    A bit camera exposure and dof to get even more kick.

#2507 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Anish
    Anish
    Participant
    • Junior Generalist
    @frosty

Hi, great work everyone. Here is my submission for the candy challenge.

I used the Renderman 21 path tracer in Maya. I’m using a custom displacement map made in Substance Designer to displace the candy, and pxrRamps to get the different colours. The material is made using pxrSurface with single scatter. The sugar is separate geometry that was scattered using xgen.

Final Image rendered with denoiser

Substance Designer displacement map

Node Network

#2513 Score: 0
    Profile photo of pietro
    pietro
    Participant
    • vfx td
    @pietro

Hello all,

here is my submission, rendered in Houdini 16 with Mantra.

I’ve built the shader using the new mat/vop context.
    There is no SSS but instead i’ve tried it by mixing two Refraction BSDFs, and layering two different levels of Reflections.
    In both cases I have a very rough layer below a more sharp/glassy one above.
    The hardest balance to strike in this shader was the one between rough/soft jelly and the crystallized sugar, as in the reference, where the little sugar crystals are like glass, but as a whole it all looks nice and soft. Really good challenge.

The displacement is a procedural Worley Noise, mixed with two other noises to vary the underlying shapes a bit.
    The colour are achieved procedurally by mapping and disturbing the values along the UVs. To help myself retain this approach I’ve rotated the UVs of the Yellow Candy.

It is a single shader, and then through Houdini’s stylesheets I overrode the relevant parameters to change the look of the different candies.

The sugar rocks, are two different scatters, with simple refraction shaders, with varying roughness.
    The round less glassy ones have a bit of diffuse too.

Caustic in the shadows are achieved with Photon Mapping through Houdini’s Caustic Light

Just for fun of it I’ve done a quick FEM simulation of the candies to see how the shader behaved in motion. It’s crazy noisy, but wanted to get it out 🙂

https://vimeo.com/215437996

submission render

aovs

#2517 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Victor
    Victor
    Participant
    • 3D generalist
    @vpolygon

Hey guys,

Here is my submission, I used Arnold and alShaders.
    My setup is pretty straightforward: the displacement is generated by an alCellNoise, the candy shader is a mix of Refraction with absorption/scattering values and multi layer SSS. For the yellow candy, is used a layer shader for having the white bottom part more opaque/milky look.
    For sugars pieces, I scattered them with Xgen using multiple archives driven by expressions. The sugar shader is a random variation of refraction and sss with primvar. I used Nuke for color correction and depht of field.
    It was a very challenging shader, hope you like it !

candy

Candy_Clay

Node_Graph

#2520 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Hannah Bayliss
    Hannah Bayliss
    Participant
    • Student
    @hannahbayliss

Hi all, this is my entry for this month’s challenge. 🙂

#2529 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Sören Hatje
    Sören Hatje
    Participant
    9 pts
    @soha

I wasn’t really able to finish this. But I doubt that I can get the result I was hoping for anyway…

#2548 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    26 pts
    @admin

WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT!

Holy moly, this one was even more difficult to decide on a winner than last time. It’s been a super interesting month and we loved the amount of sharing that you all did, from various techniques to generated displacement maps. It’s been great seeing everyone struggle with the current limitations of the available light transport algorithms.. Hehe 🙂

Thanks to ALL who participated and therefore helped grow this community this month. There’s some new, cool things on the horizon for the next challenges.

1. MOHAMED YEHIA – @mido5560

Fantastic work dude. Even though the shadows are not correct, we think you got closest to the reference overall. Please contact me with your address so I can send you a t-shirt.

2. OLE MARIUS – @olemarius

3. ANTHONY PILON – @anthonypilon

Honorable mentions (top 8, not in order):

Franck Topic (@francky), Pietro (@pietro), Julien Crochet (@juliencrochet), Sondre Nymoen (@pannekaka), Lewis Orton (@lewisorton)

challenge 02 candy winners

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #2569 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Anthony Pilon
    Anthony Pilon
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    20 pts
    @anthonypilon

Congrats to Mohamed for that amazing render, you really nailed the volumetric light!

I can’t wait to see what the next challenge will be. I just wrapped up another personal artwork, so I’m itching to do some more shader practice. 😀

#2570 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ole-M
    Ole-M
    Participant
    • 3D - Generalist
    20 pts
    @olemarius

Congrats Mohamed! Great work!

#2574 Score: 0
    Profile photo of MOHAMED YEHIA
    MOHAMED YEHIA
    Participant
    9 pts
    @mido5560

@admin

hey Zeno Pelgrims

Thanks it was a fun challenge and i hope that u could participate too like the first snow challenge your work is amazing…  and for the shadow yes i forgot to turn off “affect shadow” for the candy  to match reference but i figured it out after i finished the final render so here it is

@anthonypilon @olemarius : thanks guys your work is great too

#2578 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Leif Pedersen
    Leif Pedersen
    Participant
    • CG Generalist
    @leif3d

I thought the deadline was May 1st?! Nooooooo!…I expected to submit final renders by tonight…I guess this challenge is in another time zone?

Love the winners BTW, Mohamed’s render is great as are so many others. Can’t wait to have fun with the next one.

Congratulations!

#2582 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Julien Crochet
    Julien Crochet
    Participant
    • 3D generalist
    17 pts
    @juliencrochet

Congratulations everyone 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.