Home Forums Challenges Challenge 03: Retroreflector

67 replies, 22 voices Last updated by Profile photo of fred_lc fred_lc 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Claudia Doppioslash
    Claudia Doppioslash
    Participant
    • Game Developer & Functional Programmer
    @doppioslash

Hey, I’m a game dev who does shader programming for Unity. New to offline rendering, but this challenge was really intriguing.

Ended up learning a lot very quickly about Blender and Cycles, but the result is not really as I’d liked it to be.

The textures were kindly made by my friend Julian Fisher in Substance.

The project repo is on github.

I wanted to write my own brdf (as I would in a realtime renderer), but sadly Renderman 21 doesn’t have that any more. I though Cycles with OSL did, but found out I was very mistaken xD

In the end I used @anthonypilon‘s normals change, the cycles glossy GGX, this thin film implementation, and this layer implementation.

And the animation: https://player.vimeo.com/video/219877182

#3694 Score: 0
    Profile photo of fred_lc
    fred_lc
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    1 pt
    @fredlacocca

@admin

“when trying to wrap that geo around the model, the cubes got skewed too much and they lost their retroreflective property. I couldn’t see a way around this”

In C4d it’s exactly what the mograph Matrix object does (wrap without deform cloner Objects). It must probably have an equivalent in Mash.

#3723 Score: 0
    Profile photo of eric
    eric
    Participant
    • architect
    1 pt
    @ericnixon

@fred, good tip, but in this case that would cause the cubes to overlap, which would cause more artifacts.

#3754 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    27 pts
    @admin

WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT!

This one was without a doubt the most interesting challenge so far and personally, I learned A TON. Thanks to everyone who participated and therefore helped grow this community this month.

As promised, the challenge has been judges by multiple industry professionals this month. The judges are Arvid Scheider (ILM), Harsh Agrawal (Pixar) and Henning Sanden (MPC).

Arvid’s and Harsh’s top 3:

1. Anthony Pilon – @anthonypilon

2. Zeno Pelgrims – @admin

3. Oleksi – @alkova06, due to the added technical challenges of doing this real-time.
    Henning’s vote was for Anthony as well.

The winner is very clear in this challenge, @anthonypilon. Both on a technical level and creative level, it stands out. You thought us all a ton of stuff here! Send me your address so I can send you your shirt : D

shadersxyz_challenge_03_winners

(Note: I had no partaking in the voting this time!)

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #3774 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Anthony Pilon
    Anthony Pilon
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    20 pts
    @anthonypilon

This challenge was a lot of fun, glad I could help people learn from it. I’m looking forward to playing with light scattering again on the raspberry 😛

@admin is there a PM system on the forum? I can’t seem to find it

#3776 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    27 pts
    @admin

@anthonypilon, no – I decided not to include it. Send me an email / facebook me!

#3782 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Anthony Pilon
    Anthony Pilon
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    20 pts
    @anthonypilon

@admin Done!

#3804 Score: 0
    Profile photo of fred_lc
    fred_lc
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    1 pt
    @fredlacocca

I didn’t find the time to finish, but the most important was to participate, at this superinstructive and nice challenge.

Thanks Zeno…
    …and anthony of course 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.