Home Forums Challenges Challenge 04: Raspberry

171 replies, 64 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Thobani Thobani 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 172 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    26 pts
    @admin

Challenge 04: Raspberry. This month we are returning once again to basics. Basics however, does not mean easy. There’s a lot more going on than initially meets the eye.

Just as last month, there will be a voting panel of industry experts in lookdevelopment – working at Pixar, ILM and Double Negative.

Last month’s retroreflector was insanely difficult. People tried through both geometry and BSDF approaches, and I would like to thank all of you who cracked their brains over this challenge. For what it’s worth, once again, we’ve heard some very positive things from top people in the industry. People are watching and it’s a fantastic opportunity to show your skillset to them.

As was noted in the candy challenge, the paper the raspberry is positioned on will have a big influence on the amount of bounce light, which in turn has a big influence in the way we see the microfibres on the bottom half. So for this challenge, feel free to adjust the backdrop shader to be more like the reference.

Good luck everyone!

Reference imagery

shadersxyz_challenge_04_raspberry_reference
     .. Pardon me for the slight lens flare in the center of the image.

Getting started

The initial scene setup is very straightforward and only takes 5 minutes. It is important that we standardize scene conditions between contributors, so please make sure that you’re not setting up the scene differently.

1. Download and extract the .zip package.
    2. Open or load in the alembic, containing the scene geometry and camera.
    3. Assign a lambertian material to the floor geometry, assign the checker texture map [tex/checker_floor.tif] to the color slot.
    4. Repeat step 3 for the macbeth chart [tex/macbeth_chart.tif].
    5. Create an HDRI light and rotate it in these axis: [51.0, -20.0, 8.0].

The default lighting setup should look like the following.

shadersxyz_challenge_04_raspberry_lightingref

Please make sure to post renders using this setup. It is allowed to post extra renders using your own light setup. Since the shared light setup is at the core of the challenge, this will be heavily moderated. You’ve been warned!

What is expected of you?

This month, only one render needs to be submitted.

The focus of these challenges is on sharing shading knowledge. Explain the shading setup in as much detail as you can be bothered to do. Think of shaders.xyz as a sort of open source project. Please, also share your scene file if possible. This is not a requirement, but would be very nice.

About creating extra geometry – just try to think if it would work in a shading pipeline. If you think it would be practical, go for it.

PLEASE NOTE:

Feel free to post WIPs in this thread.

For now, please use “auto” for the width and height attributes when uploading images. This is needed to display them correctly.

To tag others in a post, use the “@” symbol.

To avoid image compression, upload .png instead of .jpg! This is something we’re working on to avoid.

That’s all! The winner gets picked by the admin team on the 1st of July, 2017 and will receive an exclusive SHADERS.XYZ t-shirt (hype!). Don’t forget to motivate others by voting for your favorite submission! Good luck everyone!

shaders_xyz_tshirt_01

#3769 Score: 0
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    11 pts
    @

While setting this up in C4DtoA, I couldn’t get the lighting to match the reference, so for whats it worth, I eyeballed the rotation values for the skydome light:

H 11.212

P 61.131

B -14.101

In case someone else needs this to get started;)

#3773 Score: 0
    Profile photo of shijin
    shijin
    Participant
    • study
    @shijin

can we use fur?

#3784 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Nicholas DeMaria
    Nicholas DeMaria
    Participant
    • Student, Texture artist, Lighting artist
    @silverwolf

I think this challenge will be the first one I take a hit at. I’m a beginning texture and rendering artist that is just about to graduate Fullsail University. I really want to partake in this one, But I am a bit confused on the good ways of making the fuzz on the berries. I love my school, Don’t get me wrong, But they never showed us how to do things like this. I also haven’t stumbled upon it in my testing. Anyone have any good tutorials or any hints that they could post? Would be great. I am currently using Maya 2017 using mtoa based on Arnold 5. Thank you in advance guys and gals! (also be easy on me >.< I am not dumb, but I am 19 and have only been doing this for less than a year. I understand most things easily though)

#3789 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mel
    Mel
    Participant
    @median

Nicholas,

This can be done in many ways:

– xgen

– nhair

-ornatrix

-shave

-yeti

to name a few.

Choosing the right one is up to you.

The name for this kind of “fur” is usually peach fuzz. If that can help you explore 😉

It is also my first participation!

#3793 Score: 0
    Nicholas DeMaria
    Participant
    @silverwolf

Thank you! I will be starting this sometime this week. Il

I will be starting this sometime this week. I will look into those few first, I’ve messed with xgen a little. But not enough to be comfortable with it yet.

I tried to quick set up my scene before I had to come to work. But it seems as though when I put the HDRI on it completely blows out my image. Are we supposed to change the resolution or anything? I might just have done something stupid, but these are what I got. ( sorry for the graininess)

This is the default skydome light, just created with no changes done to it.

This is the default skydome light, I know it works, have been using it in my other scenes.

This is what happens after I put the HDRI into the skydome color information.

This is what happened to my render once I plugged in the HDRI dont know why tho, My exposure is fine, same with gamma.

#3794 Score: 0
    Nicholas DeMaria
    Participant
    @silverwolf

Woops! double posted, My bad.

#3801 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Claudia Doppioslash
    Claudia Doppioslash
    Participant
    • Game Developer & Functional Programmer
    @doppioslash

@Nicholas

for reference, here’s how it looks on Blender cycles, after following the instructions:

Looks too dark.

#3820 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Douglas Liell
    Douglas Liell
    Participant
    • VFX artist
    @dougliell

For Blender I used the HDRI settings as follows to make it look like the reference:
    Rotation:
    X=-80
    Y=-75,2
    Z=51
    HDRI sets

#3822 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Douglas Liell
    Douglas Liell
    Participant
    • VFX artist
    @dougliell

I would like to share my first test in Blender Cycles.

Blender Cycles

Fruit node.
    fruit node

#3835 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Koushik Routh
    Koushik Routh
    Participant
    • Lookdev Artist
    @shaderwizard

Hi ! Here is my w.i.p. of the Raspberry challenge. I have done the setup accordingly. Thanks

Scene_Setup_LightRig

#3843 Score: 0
    Profile photo of eric
    eric
    Participant
    • architect
    1 pt
    @ericnixon

@admin, geo for the hairs is chewed up, can you re-export it?

#3854 Score: 0
    Claudia Doppioslash
    Participant
    @doppioslash

thanks @dougliell !

#3856 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    26 pts
    @admin

@ericnixon – what do you mean? I know the geo of the hairs is not super ideal, but it is workable, no?

@silverwolf – it looks like the HDRI is interpreted as srgb instead of linear?

#3869 Score: 0
    Profile photo of RALF KOTOWSKI
    RALF KOTOWSKI
    Participant
    • Search Engine creator
    @bl4ck1c3

For Lightwave 2015.3 I had to adjust the “Rotation” in “Textured Environment” as follows:

H: 218.0

P: -31.0

B: 18.0

#3870 Score: 0
    Claudia Doppioslash
    Participant
    @doppioslash

@dougliell

[update] ah, Multiple Importance wasn’t on

This is what I get, using your setup, any advice on what I’m doing wrong?

This is my world node graph:

I’m not using any other lights apart from the hdr world one.

#3885 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Arvid Schneider
    Arvid Schneider
    Participant
    • Sn. Lighting TD ILM
    11 pts
    @arvid

Hey my shader friends, instead of having a few beers on a Friday night I spent a nerdy session at home with some fruits. Here are my results:

I am not entirely happy with the results, because of the “downy fur” looks like a fur pelt almost, and I dont feel that there is any liquid inside of the berries..so maybe I ll try another one later this month. Played with DOF to match the reference image. and btw the UVs on these stems are broken..so they dont work properly.

Rasberry_arnold5

shading_network

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #3886 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Julian Perez
    Julian Perez
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    2 pts
    @julper

Hi everyone, I just registered to participate on the challenge as well. So here’s my first render with the setup:

First setup

I fixed the size of the elements in Blender to have something a bit more realistic (the berry was something like 6mts tall hehe), since the SSS and/or volume of the berry material has to be made taking real world sizes into account. So that’s the reason for the heavy dof on the render too.

#3888 Score: 0
    Profile photo of eric
    eric
    Participant
    • architect
    1 pt
    @ericnixon

@Zeno, I would say its only workable for a diffuse material, any tight specular will give artifacts (see Arvids render above), any sss material on the big hairs will render slowly + artifacts.

If re-export isn’t easy, I have a Raspberry model that looks just like the photo if you want to use it.

I am being a bit fussy I guess, but raspberries are really hard due to the cell walls + cell skin + lots of cells, I think starting with good geo will really help, esp If you need to animate them in a bunch (which isn’t the task at hand, but.. theoretically for a client, it would be needed)

#3891 Score: 5
    Profile photo of michael cauchi
    michael cauchi
    Participant
    • CG Student / Soon Groom TD
    14 pts
    @mikecauchi

Final render (2k by 2k in vray)
    Hey guys, Here’s my first WIP at this months challenge, assuming I have time i’ll return to this tomorrow!
    At the moment my current setup is 4 materials blended together (mainly because the vray SSS and standard materials only have one specular lobe)
    The first material is a VrayFastSSS2 material with some pretty basic settings, the SSS mode is set to raytraced solid to avoid those weird ‘hollow’ shadows that vray can make sometimes.

The second and third materials are just standard VrayMTL nodes with different reflection gloss settings so I could get some sharp highlights without losing the soft falloff on the reflections

The fourth material was a cheat, I couldn’t get the SSS to have the correct fall off in the gaps between the raspberry pods. To get around this  I created a self illum material set to be the same as my SSS scatter colour and then multiplied this by a tight AO generated using a ‘vray dirt’ node.
    It’s a pretty gross fix but it softened everything up nicely for this image

There is also a random diffuse amount setup in the SSS shader to add a little variation in the juiciness of each pod. This was pretty easy to do using a multisubtex node 🙂

Hope you like it and any feedback is appreciated 🙂
    Base SSS materia lsettingsOverall material network

This post has received 5 votes up.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 172 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.