Home Forums Challenges Challenge 04: Raspberry

171 replies, 64 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Thobani Thobani 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 172 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Koushik Routh
    Koushik Routh
    Participant
    • Lookdev Artist
    @shaderwizard

Hi! Here is my V02 W.I.P.

Rendered with Redshift. ThanksV02

#3898 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Johnson Martin
    Johnson Martin
    Participant
    • Student
    @johnsonm

Hey Guys, I ran across this site on Twitter a few days ago, and have been hooked ever since. So I figured why not participate?

I’ve gotten a start on the main material, bu am taking some time now to get the “peach fuzz” and other strands looking right. So here’s what I’ve got so far, pretty simple setups, but they seem to work ok.

#3906 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    26 pts
    @admin

@arvid, I’ll check the uv’s of the stems again. I will republish this, and I will also update their rotations, they are way too perpendicular right now!

#3910 Score: 0
    Profile photo of paul PARNEIX
    paul PARNEIX
    Participant
    • FX TD
    5 pts
    @paulparneix

Hi everyone ! I’ve been following shaders.xyz since the snow ball, so I decided to participate this time 🙂

I’ll use Guerilla Render for the raspberry, here’s my scene setup :

guerilla_setup

#3922 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Marvin Archaimbault
    Marvin Archaimbault
    Participant
    • CG Student @ ESMA
    4 pts
    @marvinarch

Hi, here is my attempt to the challenge, using Maya / Renderman 21 + Xgen for fur add. There is a version with the given lightrig and the same one more exposed to get closer to the reference.

Edit : the 1k square picture is coming, there is a 50% picture test.

raspberry_1

raspberry_2

Feedback are welcome,

Marvin.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #3928 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    26 pts
    @admin

Hey all. Just a gentle reminder that it would be ideal if we could all post both the raw render and the comped render. This makes it easier to judge your work.

Also, @mikecauchi, if you add extra lights (rim), make sure to also post a render without them. Having a lighting standard across all entries is fundamental to the concept.

Thanks for understanding!

#3935 Score: 1
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    26 pts
    @admin

First WIP, Arnold as always!

– The hairs need to be improved (less visible on the top and more visible at the bottom)

– Need to fix the shadow due to the transmission

– All the stems need to be fixed and shaded properly (just some ramp on broken uv’s now.. I’ll upload a scene fix soon!)

It’s pretty hard to get the berry to feel juicy inside. It feels plastic very easily.. To overcome this I’ve opted for a mix of transmission and sss, which is something I’d never done before. But jesus christ, it’s slow to render.

Comped render:

zeno_pelgrims_shadersxyz_challenge_04_raspberry_shader_wip_001

Raw render:

zeno_pelgrims_shadersxyz_challenge_04_raspberry_shader_wip_002

#3936 Score: 0
    Profile photo of michael cauchi
    michael cauchi
    Participant
    • CG Student / Soon Groom TD
    14 pts
    @mikecauchi

@admin , No worries i’ll post the second wip with standard lighting 🙂
    Cheers

#3943 Score: 0
    Profile photo of John Eickholt
    John Eickholt
    Participant
    • Motion Designer
    @rubberjohnny

Thanks, I put the exposure down some too as it seemed super bright in arnold for c4d

#3944 Score: 0
    Profile photo of John Eickholt
    John Eickholt
    Participant
    • Motion Designer
    @rubberjohnny

Wow, so many good submissions already!

I’d like to participate too. Hopefully I can learn from you guys. I’m using Arnold in C4D – here are some WIP images. I’m going to tackle the berry shader next. Never done any SSS so it should be fun to learn about. Thanks for looking!

WIP 01

WIP 02

WIP 03

Round 01 Screen Snap

#3950 Score: 4
    michael cauchi
    Participant
    14 pts
    @mikecauchi

WIP_0002_COMPETITION_LIGHTINGWIP_0002:
    Hey guys!
    Working on the second wip for the raspberry, 1st image is using the exact competition setup (no additional lights as requested 🙂 )
    Second image was rendered using a slightly different lighting setup/ground plane to match the ref as close as possible, wit ha lens flare added in comp.

Current shader breakdown :)
    In terms of shading changes, I built this shader again from the ground up so I could get a better specular response.
    The shader is no made from 3 base shaders blended due to vrays lack of multiple specular lobes.
    First shader is a vray fastSSS2 material with a slightly orange reflection to get a nice soft falloff on the highlights, the bump is generated by adding two fractals with a low amplitude, both of which have different tiling values so I could have control over the different layers of surface detail (the high frequency is set to half the strength of low amplitude since higher frequency details tend to look stronger than they actually are set)
    The colour of each pod is set to “random by RenderID” using a Vray MultiSubTex node so I could get some nice variation 🙂

The second material is like a surface wax material, set up is pretty simple. no diffuse, no SSS, no refraction, just reflection and bump. the gloss was set slightly higher than the base SSS shader to get the tighter highlights.
    Both shaders have the same bump connected to them but on the wax layer the bump multiplier was set to 0.32 rather than 1, this was to mimic the effect of the wax filling in the surface details of the raspberry so I had a slightly smoother highlight.

The 3rd shader was used just to fake a little more SSS in the gaps between the pods (Since I couldn’t get vray to do this without blowing out my other values).
    The set up is simple, the material is just a self illum shader set to my SSS scatter colour. this is then Multiplied by AO so that it is only added where I wanted 🙂

Hope this helps and feedback would be appreciated!

(Note: ignore the reverse node, thats just a relic from the previous version of this shader and is now no longer part of the materials)

This post has received 4 votes up.
    #3953 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Gobgob
    Gobgob
    Participant
    • 3D generalist
    1 pt
    @gobgob

Great challenge and already great entries!

@mikecauchi, nice progress thanks for sharing! Just wondering, since you use Vray, did you used VrayFur for the peach fuzz?

Also, why did you choose the FastSSS over the SkinMtl ? ( I actually don’t know when to use one or the other)

#3957 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Julian Perez
    Julian Perez
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    2 pts
    @julper

Here’s my best attempt so far for the berry shader in Cycles. It uses a mix of translucent and a bit of SSS to get the juicy effect, SSS alone is not enough and somewhat slower. Raw render Raw render

Comped render Comp render

node_setup

Cycles node setup

I’ll try to improve it further during the week.

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #3958 Score: 0
    michael cauchi
    Participant
    14 pts
    @mikecauchi

@gobgob Thanks man!
    Yes, I actually used two different vray fur systems, one with a density of 50 and a length of 0.001 and another wit ha density of 10 with a length of 0.004. I did that to get some stray fibers, since vray does not allow you control over strays at the moment 🙂
    And also yes, I used fastSSS2 for literally everything with SSS (including skin), its more of a preference thing to be honest so use whichever you prefer 🙂

#3962 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Manny Gonzales
    Manny Gonzales
    Participant
    @mannyg

Initial render for the raspberry’s using Arnold with Xgen.

Raspberry_BeautyRender

#3964 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Pablo Cardenas
    Pablo Cardenas
    Participant
    • Student
    @elmisterca

Hi! I imported the alembic on to 3DSMax so I could render it with FStorm, but the problem I’m having is that the values there are from 0 to 1, so I tried to match as close as possible to the reference… If any of you guys know the proper lighting setup with FStorm I would appreciate it… plus the geo looks kinda weird to me haha..

#3969 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Gobgob
    Gobgob
    Participant
    • 3D generalist
    1 pt
    @gobgob

@elmisterca plus the geo looks kinda weird to me haha

Try smoothing / subdivide the geometry

#3971 Score: 3
    Profile photo of Daniel Paul
    Daniel Paul
    Participant
    3 pts
    @danielpaul

Hey guys,

my WIP v01 of strawberry.

Im not sure about the brightness, i set it to 2 instead of 1, because it was easier to set up the shaders for the reference image.

Done in blender cycles

After comp:

This post has received 3 votes up.
    #3972 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    26 pts
    @admin

Fantastic entries guys!

I’ve updated the scene with better twig geometry. I’ve updated the download link and you can also get it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwnriipip6lvvkq/shadersxyz_challenge_04_raspberry_package_v02.zip?dl=0

#3973 Score: 1
    Profile photo of morteza
    morteza
    Participant
    • Technical CG Artist
    1 pt
    @iranimation

Hey  Guys , This my first WIP v01 Images . Renderman 21.4 – Maya 2017 update 3

Comp Image

Raw Render

WIP Images

C & C are welcome

Thanks.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 172 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.