Home Forums Challenges Challenge 04: Raspberry

171 replies, 64 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Thobani Thobani 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 172 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Johnson Martin
    Johnson Martin
    Participant
    • Student
    @johnsonm

I spent some more time this morning on this. I’m pretty happy with the result (especially at a higher exposure), but I might give another go at it later on. We’ll see. But for now here’s my final material.

Higher Exposure:

#3979 Score: 3
    Profile photo of ahmedadela8
    ahmedadela8
    Participant
    5 pts
    @ahmedadel

WIP 01 Challenge  Done With Octane Render WIP 01 Challenge #4  Done With Octane render

This post has received 3 votes up.
    #3983 Score: 0
    Profile photo of fred_lc
    fred_lc
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    1 pt
    @fredlacocca

Hello

Here my first try. Done with redshift for C4D

Yet lot of work. Really Too metallic and for now I don’t get the backlight.

By the way I can’t use the HDR cause redshift domeLight allow only head rotation. The provided Sky need pitch. Use a physicalSky instead.

Hope to find time to continue.

#3992 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Volker Troy
    Volker Troy
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    @pixelwerk

My first WIP using MODO and V-Ray. Have to figure out first, how fur and the alShaders work since I’ve never really used them before

WIP_01

#4003 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Marvin Archaimbault
    Marvin Archaimbault
    Participant
    • CG Student @ ESMA
    4 pts
    @marvinarch

Well here is the raw and the comped image, in 1k square (previous was 512*512). I’ve done some colors adjustments and reworked the fur shader.

Renderman 21.4, using VCM, PxrSurface using DEon Better Dipole subsurface model and Single Scatter for the raspberry, and PxrMarschnerHair for fur.

raw

Feedbacks are welcome 🙂

Marvin.

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #4007 Score: 0
    Profile photo of JB Caillet
    JB Caillet
    Participant
    • VFX Student
    @mtprod

You can delete my message.

I used an aiSky instead of a aiSkyDome in Maya and I didn’t understand why it didn’t work until now 😉

Sorry to bother you with my message.

#4008 Score: 0
    Profile photo of John Eickholt
    John Eickholt
    Participant
    • Motion Designer
    @rubberjohnny

Nice! really nice juicy look. I’d like to see a little more peach fuzz and I think this would be perfect. Would you post the node view of the berry shader?

#4012 Score: 0
    John Eickholt
    Participant
    • Motion Designer
    @rubberjohnny

This looks really great! My only crit for you is the peach fuzz looks a tad to long and maybe each strand is a tad to thick? but I think the overall hair count looks right.

#4013 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Douglas Liell
    Douglas Liell
    Participant
    • VFX artist
    @dougliell

I share my second test here.
    Blender cycles.
    I have not updated the model yet, I’m using the first one that was posted here.

@doppioslash
    I’m using Filmic to make the light more real.
    Did you test that?

#4024 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Nathan Reynolds
    Nathan Reynolds
    Participant
    • Student
    @nathanvfx

I’ve been following this site since I saw it launch on Twitter and thought I’d give this one a go, just to clarify I take it we aren’t allowed to submit comp’d images, only raw renders?

Cheers,

Nathan.

#4025 Score: 0
    John Eickholt
    Participant
    • Motion Designer
    @rubberjohnny

This is still – WIP. I’m still working on the SSS/Transmission on the lobes. I’d like to get a little more color variation in them somehow. Not sure about some of those bright purple pixel artifacts on the right side either.

Wip

#4029 Score: 3
    Profile photo of Julien Crochet
    Julien Crochet
    Participant
    • 3D generalist
    17 pts
    @juliencrochet

Hello ! Here is my WIP :

First one is composited to try matching the photo, second is the original render with exposure. I’m using Vray for 3DSMax (as usual 🙂 ), I think i’ll switch next time there is translucent material !

This is an AlShader with a noise for color variation added to a VrayBlend using two materials to make the reflection, and then plugged into another VrayBlend to get the clean reflections where the raspberry is broken. The map used to blend the last two materials is also used to drive an Optimize modifier on the raspberry geometry to get a flatter surface where it is cut off.

The hair is a basic 3DS Max Hair and Fur with 800000 hairs in it, using the same map again to not get hair on the broken surface, and its material is a semi transparent VrayMtl.

I hope i can get the hair density and the translucency right, but this is step one 🙂

#4030 Score: 0
    Profile photo of dede
    dede
    Participant
    • CG generalist @Mikros Image
    1 pt
    @wednesday

hello guys,

I decided to give it a shot, not as easy as it looks.

I use MtoA 2.0

Comped version:

Raw one

and the shading network if it might help to see what i tried to do

i will redo a version with your new model, Zeno.

Andre.

#4050 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Carl Krause
    Carl Krause
    Participant
    • Germany
    @carlkrause

Hi guys heres is my wip. I used Arnold and Mash for the fuzz.
    Shader is quite simple. only two aiNoises for the bump and the aiColorJitter for a variance in the color. I mostly used transmission with a little bit of sss.
    I tried the new arnold5 StandartSurfaceShader and had some problems getting enough light inside the berry.
    I hope to fix that in the next update.

Comped version: (color correction and dop)

comped

raw version: (way to dark. I hope to fix that in the next update.)

raw

Feedback is very welcome.
    Cheers
    Carl

#4051 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    26 pts
    @admin

@juliencrochet, those hairs are so nice man! Feels so soft.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #4053 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Claudia Doppioslash
    Claudia Doppioslash
    Participant
    • Game Developer & Functional Programmer
    @doppioslash

@dougliell ah, Filmic was on my list, but I forgot about it. Thanks! I’ll check out.

#4055 Score: 3
    Profile photo of paul PARNEIX
    paul PARNEIX
    Participant
    • FX TD
    5 pts
    @paulparneix

Hey guys, some really cool posts here ! very interesting 🙂

Here’s my first wip (raw render) focussing on SSS for the grains :

I agree with @Zeno, It’s not easy to get the juicy look. I used a combinaison of classic SSS and volumetric SSS in Guerilla. That caustic pass is driving my CPU crazy :p

I setted up peach fuzz quickly using Guerilla fur prodecural, Defenitly needs more work. I’ll also focus on adding more color variations, I’ve done a quick connectivity map in houdini to add per-grain small variations :

#4058 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mihalcea Bogdan
    Mihalcea Bogdan
    Participant
    • Architect - Hobby CG Artist
    @dani1989

Hy guys!

I am working on this contest too, and I noticed that if I increase the GI Amount of the flat plane, I get more backlight on SSS Shaders, and the fur is more visible on the lower side of the berry, like in the reference. I’ll post a WIP when I get home later today. I don’t know if it’s okay to tweak other elements than the berry object, since this way it is not a shading oriented rendering, more like a light matching from photo reference.

This is so addicting, I am reading this forum whole day at the office.

Thank you guys for creating and constantly contributing your knowledge on this forum.

#4065 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    26 pts
    @admin

@dani1989, I mentioned in the reference post that for this challenge, you can do that. The lighting needs to be consistent though. We’re aware that both assets affect each other pretty heavily, so go ahead. The backdrop is just a standard sheet of A4 print paper in the reference image.

#4067 Score: 2
    Profile photo of michael cauchi
    michael cauchi
    Participant
    • CG Student / Soon Groom TD
    14 pts
    @mikecauchi

Hey guys!
    Been tweaking the fur and the colours a lil bit, think i’m starting to reach my technical limit so any advice from here would be much appreciated 🙂

Raw render:
    Raw render in competition lighting setup

And here is a secondary setup where I tried to mimic the ref as close as possible with lighting and groundplane (SSS on the floor to get that little blue rim on the shadow),
    There is a tiny bit of comp too but all I did was add some chromatic aberration, vignetting and a lens flare:

This post has received 2 votes up.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 172 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.