Home Forums Challenges Challenge 04: Raspberry

171 replies, 64 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Thobani Thobani 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 172 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    26 pts
    @admin

@danilsh, could you provide some more info? This one looks fantastic! Maybe too much spec in my opinion but great juicyness whilst retaining correct shadows. Also nice hairs!

#4719 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Danil
    Danil
    Participant
    • Russia
    1 pt
    @danilsh

@admin this is RenderMan. Path Tracer integrator. Fur is XGen. Simple surface shader with one noise normal map. Juicyness i`ve made by subsurface and glass refraction.  Now i’m trying to add a layer of material to selectively fade the spec.

#4738 Score: 3
    Profile photo of Sebastian Björk
    Sebastian Björk
    Participant
    • CG Student
    4 pts
    @sebastian

Here’s my first WIP post for this challenge. It’s harder that it looks for sure. I used Houdini with Redshift.

The thing that annoys me most at the moment is the fur, it’s much more varied in the reference.

I changed the floor to match the reference.

RAW render.

The main shader is a single scatter extinction with SSS. The reflection is handled in separate material and blended for more control.

I used some AO to mask away certain parts in the reflection and SSS. Color variation is made via attribute directly on the models points (noise and some painting) and then fetched by Redshift.

This post has received 3 votes up.
    #4742 Score: 1
    Profile photo of dede
    dede
    Participant
    • CG generalist @Mikros Image
    1 pt
    @wednesday

one more wip..

i mainly tried to reduced the red variation, it was too strong imo

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #4764 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Linus Rosenqvist
    Linus Rosenqvist
    Participant
    1 pt
    @lalllall

Hi so here is my 3rd and hopefully final version 🙂
    Same thing as before but a bit more work on the fur and correct lighting this time

#4768 Score: 2
    Profile photo of paulDryzen
    paulDryzen
    Participant
    • VFX Supervisor
    4 pts
    @pauldryzen

Heya,

here is my current WIP of the Raspberry. First there is the render coming from Maya, some xGen and Redshift.

raw render sRGB (ACES)

Cheers Paul

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #4769 Score: 2
    Profile photo of paulDryzen
    paulDryzen
    Participant
    • VFX Supervisor
    4 pts
    @pauldryzen

Next the comped version. (I tried to upload the png but it failed 20 times so there is only a jpg)

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #4770 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Andrei
    Andrei
    Participant
    @andrei

Hello,

First time posting.Really like the site.

C4d Arnold and Nuke. I’m not very happy about the fur. I used sss and transmission using the uv to randomize to colors on almost any color slot that i used. Also some different black.white values in comp, dof etc. Probably i shoud’ve also used an extra coat with some bump…but… next time.

Probably if I had to redo the whole thing i would: make the fur thinner so i wouldn’t have to use opacity, only use transmission (because of render times, very big with sss and trans) , subdivide the geo (i forgot 🙂 ) . And any other feedback that i receive here  i guess…

#4799 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Kevin
    Kevin
    Participant
    • Generalist / Lighter
    1 pt
    @kevisual

@andrei It looks like you haven’t subdivided or otherwise smoothed the geometry and it’s causing you to get some straight edges where there should be smooth curves. Also, I think your specular hits are a bit too smooth, they seem a bit more broken up in the reference.

#4802 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mihalcea Bogdan
    Mihalcea Bogdan
    Participant
    • Architect - Hobby CG Artist
    @dani1989

Hi!

This is my WIP no.2, My friends at the office asked me to make a render in OCTANE , sorry for the watermark so far i worked in the demo version. They also told me that if they like it they will buy me a 1 month subscription to be able to submit the final image made in Octane. If requested i will post the materials.

This is a RAW render, only with exposure adjustments, no DOF.

#4810 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Thilo Seifert
    Thilo Seifert
    Participant
    11 pts
    @thilo

Hello,
    nice stuff going on here !
    this is my first WIP in arnold for c4d.
    my current setup is mixing transmission and sss together and drive it via texture map for some variations
    has someone any idea how i can fix that translucent shadow in arnold?

material setup

setup

raw render

raw

comped

comped

#4818 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Vitaly Musatov
    Vitaly Musatov
    Participant
    • Digital Compositor
    @lastgreen

Hi everyone!

I am really enjoy being in this community! Thank you Zeno @admin and every participants.

Here it is my first attempt. I’m learning Houdini and Mantra .

This is my WIP:

Render:

WIP Original

Comped:

WIP Comped

#4822 Score: 0
    Profile photo of dede
    dede
    Participant
    • CG generalist @Mikros Image
    1 pt
    @wednesday

ok, different direction, i guess i tried too much to figure out the colors of raspberry caused by the env of the hdri.

study a bit more the reference and came up with that. feels a bit better.

#4836 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Kevin
    Kevin
    Participant
    • Generalist / Lighter
    1 pt
    @kevisual

Render01

Hi, hello, how are you?

I absolutely love this site and the competitions, it’s awesome. Thank you so much to the organisers for setting this up.

A lot of really impressive entries this month.

This is my entry, it’s taken quite a lot of trial and error to get it to a point where I was happy to submit.

Tools:

• Maya
    • Renderman
    • XGen

Render time was almost 13 hours.

I’ve only recently started getting into Renderman and I have to say, I really like it. It has a lot of nice features.

Some information about the shader setup:

• The shader is a layered surface. but most of it was all in the base layer.
    • I chopped the raspberry up into different sections so that I could control the colour for each section.
    • Colour comes from the SSS lobe.
    • After wrestling with the SSS for ages and wondering why I wasn’t getting the kind of SSS ‘glow’ I was expecting, I realised that the ‘Continuation Ray Mode’ was set to ‘off’. I switched this to ‘all’ and it made a world of difference.
    • I cheated a little bit by putting a red light inside the raspberry to give the shadow some redness.
      • If anyone knows how to make the renderer pick up more of the redness from the raspberry in a more physically accurate way, I’d love to know how to do it.
    • I plugged two high frequency noise nodes with slightly different bump scales into two of the specular lobes. This made it possible to make the size of the specular highlights a bit bigger without having to increase the roughness.

Shader tree 01

Shader setup

#4839 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    26 pts
    @admin

Amazing work guys!

I am still fooling around with this, it’s way harder to get the look than I anticipated! Overall it’s too orange-y now. There’s also too much spec which makes it feel a bit plastic.. Still going for the transmission+sss approach. I’ll post a breakdown with my final entry.

shadersxyz_zeno_pelgrims_raspberry_shader

#4841 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Kevin
    Kevin
    Participant
    • Generalist / Lighter
    1 pt
    @kevisual

Why transmission + SSS?

My understanding is that they’re both essentially simulating the same thing.

Are the results still physically accurate if you do this?

#4848 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    26 pts
    @admin

@kevisual You’re right, I don’t think they should be used together. It’s a cheat. I have the sss doing most of the light scattering, whilst the transmission adds some extra in the crevices. It makes it look more juicy than just going with sss.

Another try, but not the tranmission isn’t rough enough and you can see the geometry on the inside. Feels a bit softer which I like more, but still not so close to the reference:

zeno_pelgrims_shadersxyz_berry_shader_wip

#4905 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Kevin
    Kevin
    Participant
    • Generalist / Lighter
    1 pt
    @kevisual

@admin There seems to be some kind of glow in the centre of some of the beads. Other people who are using the SSS + transmission technique have this too (like @Danilsh). I’m not seeing glow like that in the reference. and I suspect it’s a result of the transmission (or glass in Renderman). Are you sure you can’t get the right amount of juiciness with SSS alone?

By the way, I like the subtle bump in the long ‘woody’ hairs you’ve got going. Really helps sell it.

Edit: Oh silly me, I just read where you said that the transmission isn’t rough enough. That makes sense.

#5010 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Niklas Grahn
    Niklas Grahn
    Participant
    • CG Student
    @niklas

Hello, here is my submission for this challenge, I used Arnold 5 with maya 🙂

I used a simple ramp with two reddish colors for the sss and multiplied it with a noise to get some of the berries darker.

The roughness and bump are also simple noises multiplied.

For the sss radius I used a curvature node from arnold and multiplied with a noise, remaped them to make the values above 1.0 and plugged it into the R channel for the sss radius.

I tought this would give the raspberry varying density since the light could scatter further in at different places on the raspberry.

The fur is made with xgen and their width is really thin to make them feel a little bit softer.

Raw

Raw render

Comped

Comped render

#5014 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Kevin
    Kevin
    Participant
    • Generalist / Lighter
    1 pt
    @kevisual

Color management

One thing I noticed when I was looking through this competition on different computers was that the reference image varies quite a lot when viewed in different browsers. I’ve tried to show the difference in images below. The difference is especially noticeable on a wide gamut monitor. The reference image is in AdobeRGB so my initial thought was that Edge wasn’t reading the AdobeRGB tag and displaying it as though it were sRGB.

So I went into Photoshop and converted to sRGB. My understanding was that this would keep the colours pretty much the same and just change the underlying colour profile. sRGB seems to be the standard so this should make the image look consistent on everything. But this did not happen, in fact when I loaded up the image into Renderman, it looked more different to Photoshop than when I compared them as AdobeRGB (the screenshot below is all with AdobeRGB).

Can anyone here explain what is going on here or point me to a resource that explains it all clearly? I’ve been scouring websites like this one: http://www.gballard.net/psd/cmstheory.html but I it is still not clear to me. Specifically I want to know how to make sure the image I’m looking at has the correct colours?

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 172 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.