Home Forums Challenges Challenge 05: Beer foam

103 replies, 36 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Julius Ihle Julius Ihle 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Arvid Schneider
    Arvid Schneider
    Participant
    • Sn. Lighting TD ILM
    11 pts
    @arvid

Found some time and here is a first WIP pass. A very creamy foam ( Havent worked on the bubbles at all ). Worked a bit on the glass and beer liquid itself, will add more breakup to the glass. Foam so far is just sss with a subtle bump. first WIP pass

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #7054 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Rik De Lausnay
    Rik De Lausnay
    Participant
    • Lead 3D Artist at Dividebyfour
    @rikspoetnik

These posts are incredibly inspiring!

So inspiring I wanted to join this challenge!
    At the moment I’m working on an advert for a belgian beer brand so I thought, let’s test it out on my scene!

I will probably do an update with the right models once I have a bit of free time.
    So here goes:

duvel01

There’s still some work needed on the masking of the displacement textures and lot’s of love to the fluid!!

#7132 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Kevin
    Kevin
    Participant
    • Generalist / Lighter
    1 pt
    @kevisual

@juls I’m really impressed with where you’ve got to!! It’s all procedural!!? Can you go into any more detail into what you did to achieve this?

#7141 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Julius Ihle
    Julius Ihle
    Participant
    • something with pixels @ ILM / LucasFilm
    11 pts
    @juls

@kevisual Thanks for the kind words! Nothing crazy really. There’s still quite a way to go to get to the reference 🙂

Here’s a screengrab of my current shader network:

As you can see most of this stuff is only for displacement.

I think the main goal is to get a really nicely working displacement structure that roughly resembles what you see in the reference. I split it up in a couple of different sections. Some swirly structure to break up the base mesh, tiny bubbles that create the pings on the surface and the big bubbles. I’m masking off everything but the tiny bubbles with the surface normals up-vector. Below are some clay renderings of how I am layering them step by step. Most of the small bubbles detail is missing due to resolution here, but I hope it makes it somewhat clear.

As for the shader itself I’m using PRMan’s PxrSurface. Rendering with VCM + DOF in camera (hence all the noise :)) It’s using SSS + 1 Spec-Lobe + Refraction. The only thing I’m mapping on the shader itself is the big-bubbles area in which I am reducing the SSS and pushing the refraction.

Hope that makes somewhat sense 🙂   I’m hoping to have some more time next week to work on this!

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #7200 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    27 pts
    @admin

I’ve had some questions about the strict use of the provided geometry. From my perspective, I want to allow ALL possible techniques that can be derived from the base surface. For example, it does not matter if you use the mesh as rendermesh, use it to scatter points inside, or whatever. I don’t want to set limitations to possibly very cool solutions.

Hope this clears things up a bit!

Also, incredible work so far!!

#7213 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Kevin
    Kevin
    Participant
    • Generalist / Lighter
    1 pt
    @kevisual

@juls Thank your for the detailed rundown, it’s very illuminating. Are you using PxrFlakes for the large bubbles?

#7224 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Julius Ihle
    Julius Ihle
    Participant
    • something with pixels @ ILM / LucasFilm
    11 pts
    @juls

@kevisual Cheers! For the big bubbles I created a simple OSL pattern that scatters “spheres” over the surface with a bit more control and more tailored towards a bubble-sort of look. I described it in a bit more detail in my post on page #1 of this thread.

#7230 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Slava Sych
    Slava Sych
    Participant
    • 3d artist/texture painter/lookdev artist
    7 pts
    @slava

Hello everyone!
    First WIP, Maya+ Arnold 5. Foam create with mix  sss with big radius scale and transmission.Bubble scatter in mash.

#7235 Score: 0
    Slava Sych
    Participant
    7 pts
    @slava

@juls
    @Thilo
    Hi! Your resoult looks very tasty  🙂
    Thank you for you sharing your approach

#7753 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    27 pts
    @admin

I had a go as well, using a volume instead of sss. I haven’t cared so much about the intersections of the glass and foam, so there’s a couple of penetrations.  Not happy with it at all.. Rendertimes are through the roof as well with the volume.

The biggest issue is the small bubbles, I haven’t been able to get them to feel right at all. Then there’s also the nice layeredness of the foam that is missing, it should feel more airy than gel-like.

Anyway, here we go:

#7770 Score: 4
    Profile photo of Arvid Schneider
    Arvid Schneider
    Participant
    • Sn. Lighting TD ILM
    11 pts
    @arvid

@admin great idea with the volume! I ll try that one as well.

So here is my render which is now further along. Honestly, I learned quite a bit in this session. First time using KtoA, first proper osl shader scripting..This foam shader is a tough one!

here it goes:

KtoA Beer Foam

This post has received 4 votes up.
    #7775 Score: 0
    Profile photo of morteza
    morteza
    Participant
    • Technical CG Artist
    1 pt
    @iranimation

Hi, this is my very cold beer (WIP)

Cheers.

Katana 2.6V2, Renderman 21.5

#7857 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Adriyan Tandia
    Adriyan Tandia
    Participant
    @tandia

Hi everyone !

First I want to say thanks to @admin for this really cool community and challenges ! This would be such a really good practice to learn really unique shaders.

I’d like to share my work after couple tries in this beer foam shaders,rendered in renderman.

Want to say thanks @juls as well for those awesome shader breakdown !

Sorry for this question,but does anyone can tell me how to implement those osl into the renderer anyway? I really want to try that and I’ve tried to search through and it seems like I have to recompile the shaders,which was failed in my case..

#7862 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Máximo de Castro Paz
    Máximo de Castro Paz
    Participant
    • Student
    @maximo

Beer

#7878 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Raco Codu
    Raco Codu
    Participant
    • 3d artist
    @racocodu

@admin

What render engine is that? And can we get an idea of your render times using volumes?

#7921 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    27 pts
    @admin

@racocodu, this is arnold. Rendertimes don’t mean so much because I’m currently on a 5year old rig. About 2.5 hours on a i7 4770k.

#7923 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    27 pts
    @admin

@arvid, that is one sweet render!

#7949 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Máximo de Castro Paz
    Máximo de Castro Paz
    Participant
    • Student
    @maximo

Final render

Beer

#8094 Score: 4
    Slava Sych
    Participant
    7 pts
    @slava

My second try with volume…
    maya, arnold 5

This post has received 4 votes up.
    #8103 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    27 pts
    @admin

@kopatych duuuude! This is great, could you get more light to scatter/bounce in the volume? It just looks slightly too dense right now! Love the detail you have under the bubbles.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.