Home Forums Challenges Challenge 05: Beer foam

103 replies, 36 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Julius Ihle Julius Ihle 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Slava Sych
    Slava Sych
    Participant
    • 3d artist/texture painter/lookdev artist
    7 pts
    @slava

@admin
    Thanks! I put the scene file after create final result, if someone it will be interesting…
    Rebuilding scene  in the moment, I’m not happy this result, render time is very big in the moment. I’m render this 8 hour in i7 6800k , maybe i do something wrong?
    My settings in this image
    two foam mesh(foam and duplicate for perlin noise) 4 catclark subdivs
    Dof active
    volume step size 0.1
    AA 8
    other with light 1 samples
    Ray depth
    Total 10
    other 1
    transmission 8
    volume 5

render not starter calculate beauty after pre sempling if I use baket size 34 and big
    start only with baket size 16, but render very slow
    Without volume render very faster
    I know, this samples settings is very high, but i need volume ray depth not low them 5

I build new version with new settings
    step size 0.5 and more volume transmission
    and new sampling settings
    create dof in nuke in post process…

#8108 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    27 pts
    @admin

I had the same issues when trying with the volume, it was very slow. You can fake the scattering a little by adding in some emission, it’s cheaper to calculate i found.

I’d definitely be interested in seeing your scene file, man! Would be great.

Are you able to bypass having to calculate transmission for the spec mesh? I just want to be calculating the spec lobe, but I haven’t figured out a way to do that. Usually i can just layer it on top of another shader, but that doesn’t work yet with volumes..

#8110 Score: 0
    Slava Sych
    Participant
    7 pts
    @slava

@admin
    thanks for advice! I did not think about emission
    Sorry i not perfect speaking in English, you are talking about a mix spec and volume? – if yes, i use duplicate mesh for spec and bubbles
    I still have not found another way to mix the volume and surface in arnold

#8112 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    27 pts
    @admin

@kopatych Could you upload your scene file by any chance? I’d love to learn from it 🙂

#8116 Score: 0
    Slava Sych
    Participant
    7 pts
    @slava

@admin
    of course)
    i use this scene at the moment with this settings
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4qcoe_cmuuoNDFaY19LTW9oYnM

#8149 Score: 4
    Profile photo of Thilo Seifert
    Thilo Seifert
    Participant
    13 pts
    @thilo

WIP4

This post has received 4 votes up.
    #8164 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Stephan Wagemann
    Stephan Wagemann
    Participant
    • 3D generalist
    1 pt
    @stephanw

Hi, some really nice entries here – i used the maya leather shader its based on a cellnoise
    aiStandardSurface  for all Shaders

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #8226 Score: 1
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    27 pts
    @admin

Here’s my final try, I didn’t get super close to the reference but it’s the best I can do in the time that I have. I definitely enjoyed it, it was fun to play with volumes for the first time in my shading workflow.

zeno_pelgrims_shadersxyz_beer_foam_final

I started not so procedural unlike some smarter people over here. I placed spheres on a plane looking at the distribution in the reference and extracted a displacement map from that. This is easy, I just apply a y-axis black and white ramp projection to get values between 0-1 and render it out from the top camera with a surfaceshader.

foam bubbles displacement

I did the same for the small bubbles, although I made those tileable since there have to be a ton of them. I also used some noise procedurals for the smaller bubbles.

foam bubbles displacement

I went the same route as @kopatych with a volume + spec layer approach. The volume has the same displacement setup as the spec layer, only with inverted bubbles. I tried using 2 spec lobes, one for the inside of the bubble and one for the outside, but this didn’t really work.

bubble shader volume

For a long time with this challenge I struggled using the volume render times. I needed 10+ bounces to get enough light to scatter and it just took too long. In the end I ended up using 1 volume bounce with a little bit of volume emission. It’s a dirty cheat that in this case doesn’t look too different from the full scattering. It also cut my rendertime by about 6 times. Once I had figured this out my iterations were a lot faster and better.

bubbles displacement

#8231 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Julien Crochet
    Julien Crochet
    Participant
    • 3D generalist
    17 pts
    @juliencrochet

Great job !

@admin and @thilo , how do you guys get to see the small bubbles details from under the large bubbles? Are the large bubbles a different geometry, with an exactly matching displacement on the original geometry? Or are they one single mesh? Is it the same shader on the foam and large bubbles?

I must be a bit thick in the head, even with all the illustrations and comments i still don’t get it !

#8234 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    27 pts
    @admin

@juliencrochet

I have two meshes, one for a spec layer and the other one for the volume/sss/whatever. For most part their displacement is the same (breakup, etc), but the bubbles are inverted. For the spec mesh, the bubbles dont have the detail displacement that you see in the foam since that wouldn’t be natural. They have different shaders.

#8244 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Isaac Turier
    Isaac Turier
    Participant
    • FX
    @isaacturier

First pass, using Redshift and Houdini.

#8256 Score: 1
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    11 pts
    @

Great to see others follow the volume shading approach too, you definitely need a worley shader to do the volumetric bubbles intersecting. What I am still missing is this effect:

Looking forward, theres still time.

Daniel

#8264 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Julien Crochet
    Julien Crochet
    Participant
    • 3D generalist
    17 pts
    @juliencrochet

@admin Oh so that was it, thanks !

#8277 Score: 2
    Slava Sych
    Participant
    7 pts
    @slava

So, I think this is my final try
    This time I used volume emission and volume ray depth 1 , how to say @admin, now render time very faster, 48 min against 8 hour on i7 6800k!))
    full procedural bubble and foam shader with maya and arnold patterns , and I use little bit color correct in nuke… I hope this will not be a problem.
    The top of the foam was not as interesting as the previous time, but in my case I think it’s normal.
    Scene archive https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4qcoe_cmuuocU41a3owLUZmN2c
    Thanks @arvid for posting info about this challenge 🙂
    Sorry for my english!
    maya, arnold5

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #8311 Score: 1
    Slava Sych
    Participant
    7 pts
    @slava

Small foam correction, more waxy

maya, arnold 5

#8410 Score: 0
    Isaac Turier
    Participant
    • FX
    @isaacturier

Wip_02. 

#8412 Score: 0
    Isaac Turier
    Participant
    • FX
    @isaacturier

Breakdown

#8426 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Nawras Ryhan
    Nawras Ryhan
    Participant
    @mr-max

Here is my first test  ..Still not quiet happy with the result but this is what I get so far

I mixed a ScatterVolume shader with refective vraymtl using a mix of Cellular maps in different sizes then I used this mask for displacement .

Not sure about the next step other than trying to add more details and play more with the refractive material  and mask the bubbles from the sides .

#8536 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Carl Krause
    Carl Krause
    Participant
    • Germany
    @carlkrause

beerfoam v2
    Still the same bubble-geo from last time. fully procedural in houdini. I tried displacing the big bubbles from noises but always got better results from real geo so i went with it.
    Here is the houdini file if somebody wants to play with it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3GJ2gGW_VDeME9DTXBIOUI5RGM

for the shading I stepped away from transmission and rendered it as a volume too. the new arnold volume rendering is amazing. but hard to control.
    the rendering took almost 24h to complete. And I’m still not happy with the look of it.
    @kopatych I really like the look of your foam. thx for sharing your scene-file. I will take a look at it when I have time.

beerfoam_v2

#8538 Score: 0
    Slava Sych
    Participant
    7 pts
    @slava

@carlkrause
    Thank you, I’m glad that you like 🙂
    and thanks for you *.hip file, I’m studying houdini, and I’m happy to learn your scene setup
    for render time, try to create the method offer by @admin (minimum volume ray depth and replace their to emission in volume shader)

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.