Home Forums Challenges Challenge 05: Beer foam

103 replies, 36 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Julius Ihle Julius Ihle 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Daniel Nissn
    Daniel Nissn
    Participant
    3 pts
    @daniel

Some really crazy good entries, tried my best with c4d and redshift. This was so much harder than I expected wish I would have started weeks ago haha 

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #8852 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Danil
    Danil
    Participant
    • Russia
    1 pt
    @danilsh

This is my version of foam.

my version

network

UPD: i have one idea for make a little better result. So it is not final render. 🙂

#8859 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Raco Codu
    Raco Codu
    Participant
    • 3d artist
    @racocodu

Wow! I see a lot of good stuff! A bit intimidated tbh, but I will definitely try a version this weekend. 🙂

Btw – the reproduction of the big shadow on the glass – is that part of the contest as well?

#8862 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jamie
    Jamie
    Participant
    • Motion Designer
    @nytol

Hello Shaders.xyz!

All of the work on this site I’ve seen so far is mind blowing. I work in C4D and would love to see a fellow C4D designer do some sort of time lapse record so that I can in some way determine a work flow of sorts?

There are some delicious looking pints here. I’m looking forwards to partaking in another competition soon, just wanted to say to everyone who’s entered so far that you are all doing some ace work!

#8881 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Danil
    Danil
    Participant
    • Russia
    1 pt
    @danilsh

its the last one. Im add one more displace layer inside big bubbles.

last one

#8903 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Julius Ihle
    Julius Ihle
    Participant
    • something with pixels @ ILM / LucasFilm
    11 pts
    @juls

There’s some seriously awesome entries!

This challenge has been great fun! Below is my final entry I think. So much more stuff I’d wish to work on, but I unfortunately won’t have time anymore most likely.

As previously no postwork, except for the glints… Just a lot more noisy this time 🙂

Crop:

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #9058 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Adriyan Tandia
    Adriyan Tandia
    Participant
    @tandia

Finally post some updates again !
    @juls whoa that shading was a lot better than before ! is that a double geo on top of each other to create that look ?

Anyway here is my another entry, will try to do last tweak for bigger bubbles..hopefully I can get on time for that..

#9137 Score: 0
    Julius Ihle
    Participant
    11 pts
    @juls

@tandia

Sorry yep I should have mentioned that 🙂 I duplicated the original foam mesh. I tried to keep everything as procedural as possible so instead of moving/scaling it around I used the same base displacement shadernetwork like for the original foam and just offset it by a constant value. I subtracted all the big and medium bubbles from that to get the sense of the other half-sphere from the bubbles below them if that makes sense 🙂

#9144 Score: 0
    Profile photo of morteza
    morteza
    Participant
    • Technical CG Artist
    1 pt
    @iranimation

Hi everyone,

This is my second try. ( maybe final)

Renderman for Katana 21.5   All shader pattern is procedural, except foam inside the glass mask.

Hope you like it.

#9359 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Thilo Seifert
    Thilo Seifert
    Participant
    13 pts
    @thilo

#9360 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    27 pts
    @admin

@thilo, i’d definitely drink that!! Nice work

#9371 Score: 0
    Thilo Seifert
    Participant
    13 pts
    @thilo

@admin  Thank You

#9422 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Adriyan Tandia
    Adriyan Tandia
    Participant
    @tandia

Hi guys !

I’d like to share my final entry for this challenge !

@juls so correct me if I’m wrong, would it be like one for the foam + really small bubble and the other one is medium and big bubble ? , and the foam one got the displacement subtracted to make a difference inbetween that ?

#9841 Score: 1
    Thilo Seifert
    Participant
    13 pts
    @thilo

final try

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #9854 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Raco Codu
    Raco Codu
    Participant
    • 3d artist
    @racocodu

I would say my setup is a bit far from what one would call ‘production proof’, but it depends. Coming from the print industry I believe one can afford to go overboard like this – and sometimes we do.

Final poly count is something around 40mil, DOF is done in post, as well as color correction / grading stuff. Will come back with a raw render. Render times pretty high at ~10hrs at 2400px.

Really wanted to try a few more iterations – I had a few other things in mind regarding shaders / overall setup, and some things are really rushed, but as I said – without ‘massive compute power’… it’s not happening. 🙂

Rendered in Vray / 3dsmax. Really wanted to try all the fancy stuff you guys are pulling here – especially Renderman or Arnold – but once I saw what kind of render times I’m looking at I reconsidered.

Awesomely fun challenge though… one thing I should mention – colors may be way off, there’s something wrong with my display so please someone let me know if so.

#9884 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Máximo de Castro Paz
    Máximo de Castro Paz
    Participant
    • Student
    @maximo

beer

#9900 Score: 0
    Julius Ihle
    Participant
    11 pts
    @juls

@racocodu

This is looking really cool! The details like the area you can see through the big bubbles, the contact to the glass and the small bubble-rings around the bigger bubbles look great!

#9910 Score: 0
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    11 pts
    @

agreed, looks quite convincing, but I  highly doubt its shaderbased..

#9932 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Vlasis
    Vlasis
    Participant
    • CGArtist
    @vlasis

That s all i could do.

I’m not satisfied at all with the results i don’t have a powerful PC so i could spend “hours” just waiting for some buckets : D.

I want to thanks everyone because in those days i learned so many thinks and i tried all the ideas SSS,Volume but i settled with a volume shader its not like Arnold’s but its ok(i didn’t know that it existed) .

I used three geometry’s one for the Volume one for the bubbles and one for the Specular,Reflection.

All in the same potion but with different maps displacements and alphas.

I wanted to go with 1920×1080 but my PC couldn’t even start the render(Freeze,Restart PC).

Program’s:3DS Max,VRay.

And Photoshop for the ColorCorrection.

#9938 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    27 pts
    @admin

WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT!

I think we can all conclude beer foam is a very hard shader to tackle, but never the less we’ve seen some incredible entries. It was also great to see so many different shading approaches.

1. @kopatych
    2. @racocodu
    3. @juls
    4. @thilo

This means @kopatych gets sent a shadersxyz t-shirt! Nice work dude. You showed great shading techniques and a mindset of sharing all knowledge you can – exactly the shadersxyz way! @racocodu, could you give a little bit more explanation how you tackled your work? It looks just fantastic, but I think I can also see handplaced elements, right?

@juls, I think you got closest to the overall values distribution in the shader – it’s impressive stuff.

I’d like to thank EVERYONE who participated. These challenges are not held to be won, but to learn along the way. I promise next month’s challenge will be easier : D

shadersxyz_beerfoam_winners

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.