Home Forums Challenges Challenge 06: Chipped Paint Metal

56 replies, 19 voices Last updated by Profile photo of alex alex 6 hours, 18 minutes ago
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    26 pts
    @admin

Challenge 06: Chipped Paint Metal! After the ultra-rare case of a beer foam shader last month, it is now time to create something more approachable which comes up quite regularly in production shading.

I’d like to thank Maxime Roz for open-sourcing another one of his fantastic HDR’s for this challenge.

Once again, there will be a voting panel of industry experts in lookdevelopment – working at Pixar, ILM and Double Negative.

The deadline of the challenge is on the 1st of October, 00:00 GMT. Good luck everyone!

Reference imagery

shadersxyz_challenge_06_chippedmetal_reference

Getting started

The initial scene setup is very straightforward and only takes 5 minutes. It is important that we standardize scene conditions between contributors, so please make sure that you’re not setting up the scene differently.

1. Download and extract the .zip package.
    2. Open or load in the alembic, containing the scene geometry and camera.
    3. Assign a lambertian material to the floor geometry, assign the checker texture map [tex/checker_floor.tif] to the color slot.
    4. Repeat step 3 for the macbeth chart [tex/macbeth_chart.tif].
    5. Create an HDRI light and rotate it in these axis: [0, -70.0, 0].

The default lighting setup should look like the following. I added in some spec to validate the rotation of the HDR since there’s no hard shadows.

shadersxyz_challenge_06_metal_lightingref

Please make sure to post renders using this setup. It is allowed to post extra renders using your own light setup. Since the shared light setup is at the core of the challenge, this will be heavily moderated. You’ve been warned!

What is expected of you?

This month, only one render needs to be submitted.

The focus of these challenges is on sharing shading knowledge. Explain the shading setup in as much detail as you can be bothered to do. Think of shaders.xyz as a sort of open source project. Please, also share your scene file if possible. This is not a requirement, but would be very nice.

About creating extra geometry – just try to think if it would work in a shading pipeline. If you think it would be practical, go for it. I don’t want to limit anyone’s amazingly capable brains.

PLEASE NOTE:

Feel free to post WIPs in this thread.

For now, please use “auto” for the width and height attributes when uploading images. This is needed to display them correctly.

To tag others in a post, use the “@” symbol.

To avoid image compression, upload .png instead of .jpg! This is something we’re working on to avoid.

That’s all! The winner gets picked by the admin team on the 1st of October, 2017 and will receive an exclusive SHADERS.XYZ t-shirt (hype!). Don’t forget to motivate others by voting for your favorite submission! Good luck everyone!

shaders_xyz_tshirt_01

#9953 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Alin Bolcas
    Alin Bolcas
    Participant
    2 pts
    @alinbolcas

Awesome! I’ll try and give this one a go! It was fun following the beer one, really nice entries.

#9964 Score: 2
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    26 pts
    @admin

I’ll kick this one off, I already had some time on my hands. I don’t participate in the competition so I get to cheat time wise – hehe.

This is my first try. All of the masking is procedural right now. The paint chipping is done by remapping a voronoi noise with a fractal, so at certain points the cracks are wider and at certain points is thinner.

I used multiple copies of the same base object combined with opacity mapping to achieve the different layers of the object. This achieved much more satisfying results than just using displacement variations since there is correct shadowing.

From there on it’s just additive layering of displacement maps, so every layer takes the displacement of the previous layer + it’s own.

The individual layers are really simple, and the results is quite nicely complex. I’m not so satisfied yet with the black paint layering, it feels artificial 🙂

Good luck everyone! I’m super excited to see other’s results. Fun to hold a challenge for once which renders fast.. Hehe.

shadersxyz_challenge_06_metal_try_01_zeno_pelgrims

nodegraph

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #9970 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Harut Harutyunyan
    Harut Harutyunyan
    Participant
    @har8unyan

I’m in. Using Katana and Arnold

start

#9980 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Robert Mastny
    Robert Mastny
    Participant
    • 3D Artist
    @threedbear

already a great start from Zeno Pelgrims! Can’t wait to see what people come up with! Good luck and have fun to everyone!

#9986 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Marvin Archaimbault
    Marvin Archaimbault
    Participant
    • CG Student @ ESMA
    4 pts
    @marvinarch

Hi everyone,

Here is my start entry, using Renderman 21 for Maya. I will keep it full procedural but probably going for an other mesh for the painted parts. I see no option at the moment to get it with layers and keep a good control on it.

Actually I find my base layer too rusty and it’s missing some color details, let me know your feeling on it.

And very nice entry Zeno, so much details I really like it ! Good job 😉

Marvin.

#9989 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Anthony Pilon
    Anthony Pilon
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    20 pts
    @anthonypilon

I should have time to take a shot at this one! I have a few texturing ideas I’ve been itching to try out.

@admin Since this one is so focused on textures, is the goal to keep it all procedural and in-shader? I’m curious what the thought is on generating Substance Designer maps for box mapping.

#9991 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    26 pts
    @admin

@anthonypilon, I really don’t care how it’s made. I am just a simple soul and don’t want to limit anyone’s minds! Substance work definitely counts, it’s just as valid

#9993 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Anthony Pilon
    Anthony Pilon
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    20 pts
    @anthonypilon

@admin Ok, thanks!

#9997 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ernestas Nesvarbu
    Ernestas Nesvarbu
    Participant
    @exaco

@Admin That’s literally a Rocket Science, cant understand a thing in these nodes.
    Insane work!

#10001 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    26 pts
    @admin

@exaco, it really isn’t rocket science – but it’s just hard to figure out if all it says is “fractal” or “combine”.. Wish there was an easier way to annotate this as I go. Maya seriously needs backdrops etc. Or it should at least show some parameters on the nodes like in blender..

#10042 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Danil
    Danil
    Participant
    • Russia
    1 pt
    @danilsh

WIP1. Im started with layers setup. Its a five layers. Now all maps is procedural inside RenderMan. Than i probably use SubstanceDesigner for some stuff.

WIP1

#10044 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Viacheslav
    Viacheslav
    Participant
    • 3d modeling/texturing/lookdev artist
    7 pts
    @kopatych

@danilsh you have strong light exposure in the scene, but the landmarks (balls and color palette) are not heavy burned, you start not the right approach to shading.
    Do not set the exposure on this map above 1… See the first image in “Getting Started”.
    This is my advice, not the current rule in this challenge 🙂

#10051 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ewan J Wright
    Ewan J Wright
    Participant
    • Axis Animation
    1 pt
    @ewanjwright

Hiya!

This is what I have so far. The set up itself is mostly working I just need to spend the time making it look pretty now. Using Houdini and Mantra. Entirely procedural at the moment.

#10052 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Thilo Seifert
    Thilo Seifert
    Participant
    11 pts
    @thilo

WIP 1 C4d arnold

#10053 Score: 0
    Viacheslav
    Participant
    7 pts
    @kopatych

I’m in deal 🙂
    Mtoa
    WIP process for first layer (rust), full procedural in this moment
    I see the UV has a square shape, so I use triplanar node for  maya noises…

maya,arnold
    maya nodes

#10056 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Danil
    Danil
    Participant
    • Russia
    1 pt
    @danilsh

@kopatych I have not bothered yet with lighting.:) My exposure is 0.9 and my color palette does not differ from yours)

#10058 Score: 0
    Viacheslav
    Participant
    7 pts
    @kopatych

ok, maybe I understand something wrong, wanted help, sorry…

#10059 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Danil
    Danil
    Participant
    • Russia
    1 pt
    @danilsh

@kopatych Не стоит извиняться! Видимо мой плохой английский заставил тебя подумать что меня задела твоя помощь? Наоборот, спасибо! Я просто трудно по-английски формулирую свои мысли. К примеру это сообщение я не смог нормально сформулировать)

#10062 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    26 pts
    @admin

@ewanjwright, looks like a great base man! How are you approaching the cracks? They look super believable.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.