Home Forums Challenges Challenge 06: Chipped Paint Metal

84 replies, 27 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Eugenio Eugenio 2 weeks, 3 days ago
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ernestas Nesvarbu
    Ernestas Nesvarbu
    Participant
    @exaco

Guys, do you use some additional Geometry for it or its entirely single Procedural Shader ?
    Cause from my experience i’ve never seen that Displacement could do something like that like in this pic, so it must be additional geometry, but based from nodes it looks like single shader ( or its whole scene not sure )

Never actually tried to create something like that especially since my most shaders is made using basic technique ( Diffuse/Bump/Roughness etc ) but what do you think about my most likely amateurish approach is something like that even allowed to compete here ?
    Copy the shaderball and scale it a bit > make it bit uneven using noise and add some depth to it ( Shell ) w/ some holes > drop it into Zbrush or make displacement map for creating that small cracks > model some of the top layer chips a few variations and scatter it then bend/align it to surface if needed and rest obviously look-dev for each piece ( attached the all types into few assets/models, so it not separate shader for every chip ).

3ds Max + OctaneVR user here ( would love to use/learn Arnold, but my CPU is too old for this engine )

#10168 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mostafa Azab
    Mostafa Azab
    Participant
    @cgazab

My first try to make the base coat

I’m working with low polys for now because i have wooden pc :”D

Arnold 5 – Cinema 4D R18

Base Coat

#10172 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ernestas Nesvarbu
    Ernestas Nesvarbu
    Participant
    @exaco

My attempt for a Base layer, not really happy with the result, had some issues with Octane ( seems it cannot use noise etc as displacement, so had to render maps as texture and that brings me some UV issues.. 😀 )

#10179 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mohammed Hamid
    Mohammed Hamid
    Participant
    • Freelance Look Development Artist
    3 pts
    @herc98

@exaco I believe Zeno said in his first post he made copies of the base mesh and used opacity masking to achieve the elevated layers of paint.

#10186 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    27 pts
    @admin

@exaco – I have multiple meshes, but try and avoid doing manual work on them since this is a shader based forum. When we start adjusting geometry on a vertex level were back at the modeling level which is something to avoid. Do those adjustments through displacement maps if possible.

@ewanjwright – No occlusion for that, that was my first option but for some reason I couldnt get it to work. Like it didnt take the opacity map in consideration, although it did work on a smaller test scene. I just remapped the masking fractal to have a larger falloff and used that in the underlying shader. Then I broke it up by multiplying with another fractal. I think this actually is a nicer way, it gives some more details!

#10204 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Danil
    Danil
    Participant
    • Russia
    1 pt
    @danilsh

WIP02. RenderTime 5 minutes 🙂 Everything is procedural, except for craquelure on white paint.

wip02

huge tree

#10227 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas
    Participant
    • hobby
    @kazhadena

Had some time to develop the concept a bit further. But switched from one object and one layered shader to the approach with multiple spheres instead. I’m still not satisfied with the rust and the paint seems floating one the same level over the whole object but it’s slowly getting there. Here’s an image of todays procedural approach.

#10230 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Roman
    Roman
    Participant
    • CG
    @roman

WIP. Base Layer Rust

Rust

#10254 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Danil
    Danil
    Participant
    • Russia
    1 pt
    @danilsh

#10255 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Thilo Seifert
    Thilo Seifert
    Participant
    13 pts
    @thilo

Current WIP

#10265 Score: 0
    Profile photo of alex
    alex
    Participant
    • Technical Artist
    @alexwheezy

WIP.

Paint Layer

#10266 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Adriyan Tandia
    Adriyan Tandia
    Participant
    @tandia

Hi guys!
    Would like to share my current WIP :

will share how I do it in the next post! Since it is still really messy node graph now :))

#10267 Score: 0
    Profile photo of baiking
    baiking
    Participant
    • LookDev &Lighting Artist
    1 pt
    @baiking

W.I.P ,just started this week,hope i can finish it.

Full procedural till now

rust

layer1

#10282 Score: 0
    Profile photo of alex
    alex
    Participant
    • Technical Artist
    @alexwheezy

WIP. This is my penultimate update on shading. The entire shading is a combination of different types of noise, masks, ramps.

Paint Layers

Shading Network
    shading network

#10287 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ewan J Wright
    Ewan J Wright
    Participant
    • Axis Animation
    3 pts
    @ewanjwright

Think I am just about done. Started layering up colour and displacement details to make it a bit more complicated. Will add some more details and remove cracks on the red a bit to make it match reference. Bigger cracks on areas where the low level displacement is strongest.

#10291 Score: 1
    Ewan J Wright
    Participant
    • Axis Animation
    3 pts
    @ewanjwright

Here’s my “final” image. Might do more later..

Have attached network view and will attach scene file once I work out a good way of doing that.

View Image for proper resolution!

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #10295 Score: 0
    Profile photo of alex
    alex
    Participant
    • Technical Artist
    @alexwheezy

This is my final render.
    Chipped Paint Metal

#10306 Score: 2
    Ewan J Wright
    Participant
    • Axis Animation
    3 pts
    @ewanjwright

OK I had to get the turquoise in there…have made it less noisy visually and taken big displacement off the rust and red. Matched colours. I’ll do proper render and stop. Maybe one more…

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #10320 Score: 5
    Profile photo of Jonas Bergholm
    Jonas Bergholm
    Participant
    • Freelance MTS/TD @ Axis Animation
    8 pts
    @blush

Hello!

I haven’t been posting WIPs (yet, I’ll add some later) due to me not thinking I’d have the time to finish the challange, but I’ve been pushing late nights trying to get it done 🙂

There are definitivly stuff on it I’d like to fix, but I wont have that much time to spend on it until deadline, but hopefully I can squeeze another couple of hours on it.

Fully procedural shader in Houdini using Mantra.
    (My shading-networks are quickly spiraling out of control… 😀 )

Cheers!

This post has received 5 votes up.
    #10321 Score: 1
    Profile photo of baiking
    baiking
    Participant
    • LookDev &Lighting Artist
    1 pt
    @baiking

Hi all,this is my final version.

Full procedural.

I’ve some displacement issue with opacity use  MtoA ,it doesn’t handel the ‘thickness’ well , hope to solve later.

Hope you like it.

This post has received 1 vote up.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.