Home Forums Discussions Arnold Rayleigh Scattering

5 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Profile photo of JC JC 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant
    @joca

Hi, anybody knows if there´s a way of achieving the rayleigh scattering in Arnold. It would be cool if this was implemented into a shader using real physics not eyeballing…by the way I wasn´t able to get any similar result at all and since Arnold has no caustics, refraction transmision shadows look horrible.

Rayleigh scattering causes the blue hue of the daytime sky and the reddening of the sun at sunset. (Source: Wikipedia)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering

Opalescent glass showing Rayleigh scattering

Opalescent glass showing rayleigh scattering

Rayleigh scattering in Earth´s atmosphere explanation

Rayleigh scattering explanation

#2871 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    27 pts
    @admin

This sort of thing I would approach by combining layering a surface shader (for the spec only) over a volume shader. It’d be amazing to be able to use the physics of rayleigh scattering in that volume shader, but I think you’re better off just faking it with setting those colours. Just my 2 cents though!

#2897 Score: 0
    Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant
    @joca

Yes, I came to the same conclusion after searching a bit in the arnold user guide but I´m not used to volumes, particles and all that stuff. Let´s see where I can get but expect more questions 🙂

Thanks Zeno.

#2908 Score: 0
    Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant
    @joca

I´ve to learn more about volumes, I couldn´t do any usefull render so I tried again with a Standard Surface shader…I think the effect is more noticeable comparing the reflection probes.

#2917 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    27 pts
    @admin

What’s the difference between the two reflection probes? I can see that it’s different, but what does the left one represent? Looks great btw!

#2993 Score: 0
    Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant
    @joca

I did a little video but the quality is horrible.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.