Home Forums Discussions Website ideas Upcoming challenge ideas

30 replies, 22 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Ernestas Nesvarbu Ernestas Nesvarbu 1 week, 1 day ago
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    26 pts
    @admin

Title says it all. I’d love input on what upcoming shader challenges you would like to see. Use the post voting system if you agree with someone else.

#1180 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Markus
    Markus
    Participant
    3 pts
    @markus

some time ago I was trying to create a realistic, used car tire with these white fonts of goodyear or something.

but it never really looked good.

so my idea would be a used, realistic car tire shader. 😀

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #1260 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Arianna Mao
    Arianna Mao
    Participant
    • CG Student
    2 pts
    @arimao

Meat could be an interesting shader!

#1266 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Thomas Harle
    Thomas Harle
    Participant
    4 pts
    @tharlevfx

Dirt, Mud, Cracked Concrete, Water, Fire etc. 🙂

Are you planning on using the same scene setup for the competitions?  Would be a big help for those of us converting it into a realtime engine – takes a while to get all the relevant things set up.

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #1268 Score: 0
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    26 pts
    @admin

No, the other challenges will be with different models. Light setup might stay the same.

#1270 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Elizabeth Ku-Herrero
    Elizabeth Ku-Herrero
    Participant
    • CG Look Dev Artist
    1 pt
    @elizabethkuherrero

Ooh I love Arianna’s idea of meat! Anything food related would be challenging, like a hunk of sweaty swiss cheese.

#1301 Score: 0
    Profile photo of jo_oldschool
    jo_oldschool
    Participant
    • lighting_lookdev_composite
    2 pts
    @manatjosef

@Markus  I agree with the car rendering 🙂 me too I was rendering car once and it’s really bad long time ago.

#1319 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Pim Hendriks
    Pim Hendriks
    Participant
    1 pt
    @pimhendriks

I thought the snowball was a nice starter as it is difficult to get right; great for discussion.

Something that might be equally difficult, could be a piece of Coca Cola candy perhaps?

#1331 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Christoph Fasching
    Christoph Fasching
    Participant
    • 3D & VFX Artist
    2 pts
    @chriscarneval

Going from Snow to Ice would be logical 😉

#1452 Score: 1
    Profile photo of mikiramos
    mikiramos
    Participant
    • Photographer. Shading and Lighting. Based in Barcelona, Spain.
    6 pts
    @mikiramos

We can try to recreat a realistic car paint with flakes! And we can use the Speed Shape made and shared by Jeff Patton http://jeffpatton.net/speed-shapes/

REF:

#1459 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Julien Crochet
    Julien Crochet
    Participant
    • 3D generalist
    17 pts
    @juliencrochet

I would love to see how people manage to recreate an iridescent shader, such as a pearl or a shell, there are probably many ways to achieve it but it’s hard to get it right

example :

#1465 Score: 1
    Profile photo of ewetcr
    ewetcr
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    1 pt
    @ewetcr

It would be interesting to replicate some kind of headphones foam. I had to do it when I was studying, with ones that had some smooth shadow/light balance and small spotty highlights everywhere. Perhaps it’s too similar to the snow challenge, as it’s a plain flat colour however. @juliencrochet, Arnold just implemented a Thin-film like shader in their last build ;>

#1471 Score: 1
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    26 pts
    @admin

Fantastic suggestions so far everyone! Keep them coming! An iridescent shader has been on my mind for a while, so I think it will pop up in one of the challenges for sure. @juliencrochet, Arvid did a great tutorial on it recently (for arnold) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSsEHFA4bqk

#1497 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Julien Crochet
    Julien Crochet
    Participant
    • 3D generalist
    17 pts
    @juliencrochet

Thin film really does look nice !

The same can be done with a third party shader on VRay ( https://www.sigershop.eu/free-3ds-max-plugins/sigertexmaps-thinfilm/ ), but i guess the difficulty would be finding the right blend between the colors along the shape, and the right amount of translucency 🙂

#1498 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Youssef Taktak
    Youssef Taktak
    Participant
    • CG Lighting artist @ Dwarf Animation Studio
    1 pt
    @youtak

Hello guys,

A lava ball could be interesting to do also , something like this 🙂

http://kingofwallpapers.com/lava/img-006.php?pic=/lava/lava-006.jpg

#1503 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Georgi
    Georgi
    Participant
    • Freelancer
    1 pt
    @georgi

Going to add to the idea iridescence and say Bismuth crystals. The geometry is cool and the angles lend itself to show off the different colors. Plus you are not bound to a specific color range since that depends on how the oxidation layer is formed.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a3/1f/db/a31fdb296b1da987a3401857bde14e27.jpg

#1516 Score: 0
    Profile photo of deniz
    deniz
    Participant
    @deniz

greets!

can we append lighting in his general means as challange as well to the site?  i think it can be great as well doing light studys together, since zeno providing us a great plattform btw thanks for the effort

a exemple   http://weissesrauschen.tumblr.com/post/36818301539/benja-harney-new-platonics since

i am also in for ice as next  and would love to join

#2586 Score: 0
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    11 pts
    @

I would suggest something like milk, orange juice and the like.. its actually much harder to do than some might think. Keeping in mind all features like higher transmissiveness in thinner areas, sss with caustics, colorchange for orange juice towards greenish in thinner areas as well. Or meat, with fat veins etc, procedurally..

#2598 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Anthony Pilon
    Anthony Pilon
    Participant
    • 3D Generalist
    20 pts
    @anthonypilon

Basically any material that has a really tricky component to it would make for a great challenge.

• Molten materials like glass or lava. On hot glass we’d need to get the reflection, refraction, and emission all just right, on lava we’d need to get a stone shader and a molten shader working, and a pattern for the crust.
    • Iridescence, like others have said. Pearls, beetles, shells. Hot or freshly welded metal could combine anisotropy, iridescence, and blackbody emission.
    • Almost any food you can think of could be difficult to get right. Raw meat, slice of watermelon, toasted cheese, a potato.
    • Car paint is a classic challenge. Maybe spice it up by making it slightly worn or muddy?
    • Since correct shadows proved really hard to get on the candy, maybe something like a jar of cloudy pond water would make a good challenge. Refraction, reflection, complex roughness, multiple interfaces, volumetrics, and some caustics for good measure.
    #3018 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Mohammed Hamid
    Mohammed Hamid
    Participant
    • Freelance Look Development Artist
    3 pts
    @herc98

A lenticular shader would be very interesting. This material changes based on the glancing angle due to micro changes to the elevation and color.

Here’s an example. It might be interesting to try this without using cheats like facing ratio.

Lenticular Card

This post has received 2 votes up.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.