Home Forums Discussions Arnold Xgen not affected by Light linking

4 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Jean-Pascal Berthiaume Jean-Pascal Berthiaume 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jean-Pascal Berthiaume
    Jean-Pascal Berthiaume
    Participant
    @jean-pascal

In my scene I have 2 additional Arnold area lights that are linked only to the cornea of the eyes (through the light linking editor).

The issue is that even though the lights aren’t linked to my xgen groom, they are still affecting it.

Does anyone know why that might happen? Thanks!

#1808 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    26 pts
    @admin

I think most of us would handle this sort of thing not through light linking, but through an extra render layer. It is simply more controllable and can be passed on to another artist easily. When getting into light linking, it is hard for others to figure out what your scene is doing. My 2 cents, do it in another render layer and put all objects except for the corneas in a set with an aiMatte override.

#1848 Score: 0
    Jean-Pascal Berthiaume
    Participant
    @jean-pascal

Oh I see, great I’ll read more about that!
    Also just to make sure I understand the workflow: I would end up with 2 different renders, I’d have to bring them into nuke, and mask the eye render with the matte (that includes every other objects)? or is there a way to combine the 2 render layer directly in maya?

#1853 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zeno Pelgrims
    Zeno Pelgrims
    Keymaster
    • Probably waiting for uncompleted render buckets
    26 pts
    @admin

You end up with 2 layers, yes. I imagine this is for the eye speculars, right? I’d use cryptomatte to take care of the masks, it’s what everone uses these days. This is a separate topic though, unrelated to the extra render layer. For the extra eye specular layer, the extra render layer should have an aiMatte override assigned to all objects except the corneas. This will produce a render with just the specular highlights on the corneas. Just plus it on top in Nuke.

#1870 Score: 0
    Jean-Pascal Berthiaume
    Participant
    @jean-pascal

Yes you’re correct, it’s for the eye speculars. Thank you for the explanation, that makes sense!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.